Friday, December 16, 2005

I don't know what to write about...

Eric threatened to destroy his computer if I didn't write something today, so I promised him I would. But I'm not sure I should take his threat seriously. I mean, to be honest, if Eric's computer was destroyed, it wouldn't be the end of the world. It's a barely-functioning piece of machinery -- probably held together with duct tape and chewing gum and toothpicks -- and it's made up of various parts of old, dead computers. I think he calls it Frankencomputer... or Computerstein... something like that. The last time I was visiting Eric's Chicago apartment, the door buzzer rang... and through the intercom I could hear a cacophony of voices engaged in what can only be described as angry mob behavior. And I, not being the kind of person to simply open the door to strangers, looked over the balcony to see who was out on the street. To my surprise, it was villagers... villagers with pitchforks and torches. Of course I didn't let them in... I didn't even know Chicago HAD villagers. So really, I think it's only a matter of time before Frankencomputer is destroyed, anyway. But since I promised Eric I would write something, I might as well write about Eric.

Eric has been my brother for as long as I can remember. No, seriously -- my very earliest memory is of the day Eric was born, when my grandparents came to my house to watch me while my parents were at the hospital. My grandmother gave me a piece of toast with jam for breakfast, and there was a tiny little black speck in the jam. So I refused to eat it. That was the day I began my life as a big sister. (That was also the day I began a lifetime of picky eating... but that's another story for another time...)

Apparently, Eric and I were some kind of bizarre freak children, because from the moment we were brother and sister, we got along famously. None of that "sibling rivalry" people are always talking about... no screaming matches... no crazy fights. We hung out together, watched TV together, shared our toys, and looked out for each other. And I thought nothing of it -- I figured that's the way brothers and sisters were supposed to treat each other. Until, that is, we moved to New Jersey when I was in eighth grade and Eric was in fifth. In our scary new town filled with new people, Eric and I only knew each other -- so of course when it was time to ride the school bus, we decided to sit next to each other. But sitting with your brother, I found out, was a major eighth grade faux pas. "You actually LIKE your brother?" another eighth grader asked me. "I beat mine up on a daily basis. Just for fun." To my amazement, this seemed to be the general consensus. Beating up your siblings: totally normal behavior. Hanging out with your siblings because you like them: totally nerdy behavior.

But somewhere along the line I decided that I just didn't CARE if it was nerdy to like hanging out with my brother, because... well, because my brother is COOL. I mean, maybe all those kids in eighth grade had stupid, boring, unimaginitive brothers, and that's why they couldn't stand them. However, MY brother is intelligent, fun, and likes to make napkin bunnies... When he was younger, he used to trip over his own feet, and randomly run into tables and walls... He once broke his thumb playing with a NERF ball -- and now he's a police officer so he's allowed to carry a gun (maybe they don't know about the nerf ball story)... My brother is the only person I know who has managed to have some sort of accident in a fire truck, an ambulance, AND a police car. (Now THAT is some serious dedication toward the wanton destruction of emergency vehicles)... When he was in high school, he frequently smuggled menus out of New York City restaurants -- he had menus for places like Mamma Leone's and the Yankee Clipper stashed away in his closet... My brother is also the only person I know who was able to flip a car in a DRIVEWAY -- and he wasn't even IN it... so I suppose Eric is not only cool, he's completely INSANE as well. Which, in my opinion, is a good thing. Life is much too boring if it's lived sanely.

One of my favorite silly Eric memories concerns the comic strip Bloom County. Eric and I both loved that strip, and when we heard it was coming to an end, it was a sad day. The final full-color Bloom County comic strip appeared in the paper one Sunday morning, and Eric had the idea that we should copy the entire thing onto a big piece of posterboard. So he and I drew it, by hand, onto the posterboard. There was plenty of room to blow everything up to giant proportions, but we were careful to keep the drawing to scale. We colored the entire thing with colored pencils, and then surveyed our handiwork. It really did look like we'd managed to take that last Bloom County comic strip and enlarge it to poster size. We were quite impressed with ourselves. So impressed, in fact, that Eric kept that hand-drawn poster for years -- until the colors faded away and the stiff paper was curled and falling apart. I think it was hanging on the closet door, where the New York City restaurant menus were hidden...

I guess I just feel sorry for all those kids who liked to "beat up" their brothers on a regular basis. Because maybe they missed out on spending time with a friend. It's way more fun to be your brother's friend than your brother's tormentor... well, you know -- MOST of the time. :) And I'd better post this before the pillaging villagers come to take Frankencomputer away... for all I know, it's sputtering out its last cyber-connection as I type. But at least I'll know it's not because I didn't keep my promise to write something for Eric...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

During my recent visit to Chicago, Eric introduced me to your Blog. This everning, I had the occasion to sit down in the comfort of my own home and finally check out your little home in cyberspace. I like what you've done with the place.

I have read one or two posts and have taken a quick glance at some of your earlier posts. I look forward to hours of entertainment, as you have a mastery of the English language and you can turn the most mundane subject into a captivating work of art.

I also checked out your profile...just to make sure that I really knew who you were. I was surpirsed to find out that you don't like country music. I would find it fascinating to read about your thoughts on country music and perhaps "your inner conflict with your dislike of country music and living in Texas".

Well, happy blogging. I look forward to your next post.

-Dave

Lisa said...

Hey Dave -- it IS rather difficult to live in Texas and hate country music. It's pretty much the piped-in music of choice for every place from Wal-Mart to Starbucks. And speaking of Starbucks, I hope you've had plenty of caramel machiatos with extra caramel this year...

By the way, I've heard you're engaged, or practically engaged, or thinking about a practical engagement -- whichever it is, I'm glad to hear you've found someone who makes you so happy. :)

Thanks for the blog compliments!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lis (pronounced lease)- Caramel Machiato? I think I drove one of those back in the 70's...yup, had wood paneling and an 8-track as I remember. They just don't make 'em like they used to. I pull-started my computer, put out the ensuing fire, and read the blog. That was some nice things you said about me, and you are the coolest sister ever. (Re "sister": For those of you who are not following, I'm her brother Eric, otherwise you could be lead to believe that Lisa is African American, and that would be a confusing thought with all the pictures). Anyway, I didn't know you could post comments, but I do now. Cool blog. You could tell a story about boiling water and it would be an interesting and entertaining read. It's another exciting Friday in Chicago for me...I've watched a live Ben Folds DVD in its entirety, and am now moving to a Barenaked Ladies one. Then I'll feed Frankencomputer these live mice I got from the pet store and go to sleep. Ok, got off track...cool blog...you kick blog butt Lis!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

First, I would like to thank you for your well wishes.

Secondly, kinda, sorta on a somewhat related topic...as things with Nancy are pretty serious, and being as though her native language (as well as that of her parents, sisters and brother) is Mandarin Chinese, I decided to learn what they were saying about me behind my back (and to my face). I have been studying this awfully difficult language at the local County College. In fact, I just finished my first semester and did quite well.

You may ask where I am going with all of this. Well, this evening, as I was preparing to turn in for the night, I took a quick glance at your Blog. I was somewhat disappointed to see that there were no new posts. However, I quickly realized that there were months of previously posted material that could entertain me. What I discovered realy struck home.

Allow me to refer to your post, titled "Totally random thought...," dated Wednesday, October 05, 2005. In a nutshell, Lisa, YES!!! I have had those same thoughts. As a student of Mandarin Chinese, I can say that your shower gel IS speaking to you. My aftershave balm says things to me daily. Now, that is not to say that I always know exactly what (I am in the early phase of my studies) but some days my Nivea for Men Aftershave Balm for Sensative Skin says things...

Some days are clearer than others. For instance, one day last week, the chinese character for "water" appeared in my left palm. Today, it said "Don't forget to take out the trash."

So, Lisa, you are not alone. And yes, your loofah is smarter than you think.

Lisa said...

I KNEW it was trying to talk to me!!

michamad said...

Hi Lisa,
I was reading that you had the last Bloom county comic strip. I have been looking for the last strip all over the internet and can't find it. do you happen to have the last strip saved that you could email me a copy of it. If so my email is Lmmassey21@hotmail.com
Or do you know where i can find it. I just need a copy. Thanks so much for your help.

michamad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.