Monday, April 24, 2006

Where in the world?

I am wandering around my house in a panic, opening drawers and looking through cupboards. I am overturning piles of books and flipping through pages of magazines. I am staring bewilderedly at my empty kitchen table, as if expecting something to materialize on its surface. I don’t know what to do.

I have lost my map.

I suppose this might not seem like a big deal to most people, but I think I’ve mentioned once or twice how I have a strange obsession with maps. And the map in question isn’t just ANY map – it’s a map of the entire WORLD. Every country, researched long-ago by vigilant cartographers, is represented. Color-coded. Capitals in bold, next to circled stars. Latitude and longitude. Arctic to Antarctic. And it’s gone. I’m sure it must be somewhere in this house, but I’ve always kept it here, close to my computer. And now it seems to be nowhere. And what do I wish for more? To find my map? Or to not be obsessed with finding it? Perhaps I’ll buy a new map. Indeed, a BETTER map…

Speaking of quirks, one of the fun things about visiting Eric was that I got to hang out with someone who has some of the similar strange habits that I have. I was reminded of this the night we ate dinner at the Indian restaurant down the street from Eric’s place. Eric ordered chicken tikka masala, and I ordered chicken vindaloo – they were similar dishes, although the vindaloo was much spicier. (Which at first, was absolutely perfect – but by the time I was finished with my dinner, my taste buds were holding up tiny little white flags of surrender…) And as we began eating, Eric and I suddenly realized that we were doing the same thing – scooping out chicken from the serving dishes, putting it on our plates, and then carefully dissecting each piece to make sure it passed our stringent meat qualifications. Had I been eating with anyone else, this bizarre ritual would’ve been mocked, or at least questioned. But with Eric, I can actually eat in peace. :)

I’m not sure what Eric thinks about maps, or if he’s spent countless hours studying their various colors and contours and wondering about the mysteries of the countries symbolized. But I AM fairly certain that he is behind my own map’s disappearance. I don’t know how, exactly. But I have to blame someone. And I blame Eric.

Oh wait – THERE’S my map…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick says:::

For some reason, I see a globe in my near future... It'd be hard to lose a globe. :)

Lisa said...

Yeah! Globes are fun... you can stand above them and spin them around really fast and pretend to be a giant satellite... everybody else likes to do that, too, right? It's not just me, right?? Love globes... :)

Anonymous said...

Eric syas:::::::::Here I am! Hiding in Eritria...not that you'll be able to find me without your map! Mu-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Oh, you found it? Hmmm...appears I have stolen the latest Ikea catalouge and taken it to Eritria with me...I guess that's how I ended up taking a left at the bunkbeds...

Anonymous said...

This message comes one post too late, but welcome back Lisa. It is nice to have something to read...finally. I can almost hear the crickets fading away as the words, once again, begin to flow onto your blog.


Oh...I almost forgot...your tastebuds would not be cauterized if you went for the chicken instead.