Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Random stuff...

Well, this is it – happy Rainbows in the Sky Free Puppies for Everyone No More Mortgages Zero Air Pollution Happy Joy World Peace Day!! And that’s all I’m gonna say about that… :)

Ugh, cedar season has definitely begun. If I go outside for more than five or ten minutes, I get all sneezy and itchy and my head gets stuffy and my nose runs. I think I have some pretty good air filters in this house, because there is a noticeable difference between how I feel when I’m out running around and how I feel when I just stay put. I think I may have to stay put for the rest of the day. I’m trying Zyrtec today, which I’ve never tried before – I usually make do with Benadryl, which works pretty well, but also puts me to sleep. I’m a little worried about the Zyrtec, because not only does the package say “may cause drowsiness,” but it’s also a 24-hour pill. So if I get all itchy and sneezy again in 12 hours, I have to just deal with it. The package is very clear about NOT taking more than one pill in 24 hours… like “don’t even THINK about taking more than one of these within a 24 hour span of time. Don’t do it. Just don’t.” So here’s hoping it works well…

So I’ve been using my new Brookstone sound machine every night when I sleep, and I have to give this thing rave reviews. I LOVE it. I usually turn on the “rain” sound and I fall asleep within a few minutes. It’s awesome. I must recommend it to anyone who ever has trouble sleeping. And even when Rick is here, I like to set it to “ocean waves” and put the timer on for an hour, just so I can fall asleep to the sound of crashing waves. It’s like sleeping on the beach in Hawaii… without all the sand in your pajamas…

Our good friends Eric and Debbie gave us some really cool Chicago books for Christmas. One is a Fodor’s guide, one is “Chicago for Dummies” (are you guys trying to tell us something??? :)) and the last one is called “Weird Illinois,” and it’s full of all kinds of interesting stories about UFOs and ghosts and creepy roads and strange houses in Illinois. And after reading some of it, I’ve decided I shouldn’t move to Chicago. (Just kidding!! I don’t care if the whole city IS haunted… I still want to move…) One thing I’ve been doing is perusing the guide books for restaurants near Rick’s hotel. And thanks to these books, Rick has FINALLY found a barbecue place up north that he likes. And last night, he and Eric tried a place called Wildfire that they really liked. Of course, I’m a little jealous that Rick and Eric are the only people benefitting from my Chicago restaurant research… I need to get up there again soon…

Well, that’s about all the random stuff I can manage today. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

2 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

Apparently the mountain cedar allergen is a special case that doesn't get blocked by regular antihistamine (so I've read.) Oh joy, oh bliss.

However, someone said to me the other day that we should really fear the juniper. Yikes!

Me too, on staying in the house. Thank goodness the running trail is 25 minutes from our cedar-ridden neighborhood.

Lisa said...

The Zyrtec actually helped quite a bit, although not without a certain amount of loopiness (not really drowsiness... just loopiness... :)).

But yeah, I don't think I could run outside near the cedar trees! Fortunately I have a treadmill, so I can stay indoors when I exercise... safely sealed off from all that "fresh air." :)