Friday, December 18, 2009

Slow down and enjoy the weekend...

(Disclaimer: the first two paragraphs of this post were written back on Wednesday, which is why the dates and times seem screwy... I haven't lost my mind just yet... but I'm getting there... :))

I FINALLY have a few Christmas presents ordered (online shopping -- the only way to go this time of year :)). It feels good to have finally accomplished SOMEthing, at least. I actually don't need to get TOO much more, because we usually simplify our gift-giving to Rick's side of the family with gift cards (and checks for the nieces and nephews -- everybody loves money, right?? :)). And his parents' gift has been in the works for a few weeks. It's actually a combination Christmas/birthdays/50th anniversary gift -- we definitely wanted to get them something nice for their 50th anniversary this year (which just happens to be right before Christmas), so we're upgrading their entertainment center and television set. They've had the same entertainment cabinet and TV for almost as long as I can remember, and they SO deserve some brand new things! The cabinet is being delivered to their house tomorrow, and I can't wait to see how it all looks when everything is set up... and you know once Rick gets through with it all, their house will be THE place to watch TV and movies in their neighborhood... :)

I can't believe Christmas is only nine (NINE?!?) days away. I feel like this Christmas season has FLOWN by, and I haven't had enough time to really enjoy it. I mean, I do my best -- every day when I get home from work, I immediately turn the tree lights on and start lighting holiday-scented candles. But evenings go by so quickly after work -- I feel like I'm barely home at all before I have to get ready for bed. And then I come to work again and do it all over again the next day. Weekends are really the only time I can slow down and attempt to soak in all the little fun holiday minutia -- driving around the neighborhood to see the colored lights on the houses, drinking a peppermint mocha from Starbucks, watching Elf on TV, relaxing on the couch in PJs thinking about peace on earth instead of how I have to get up at 5 in the morning... Ahh...

And to illustrate the fact that I've been too busy to blog, it has obviously taken me several days just to get to the point where I've written three measly paragraphs. The entertainment center was delivered to Rick's parents' house YESTERDAY, and Christmas is now SEVEN days away. One week. And I still have at least one more thing to buy before I can be considered temporarily finished (because even once I've bought that one item, I will still need a few odds and ends). This has been the most rushed holiday season EVER. At least it feels that way...

Today was our office "white elephant" Christmas party, where everyone brings a gift to exchange -- but not necessarily anything anyone would actually WANT. I guess the goal of a white elephant party is to bring the lamest gift possible to illicit the most laughs possible. Lame = laughs. I think most people bring gifts that were originally given to THEM in rather bad taste, and then they pass them on to their poor coworkers. I won't say what I brought to the party, since someone DID give it to me for Christmas one year... but I will say this: it was no one who reads my blog on a regular basis, so you guys are all off the hook... :) But the cool thing is, the gift I chose to open turned out to be cookie cutters and a Christmasey dish towel -- which I'll totally end up using, as opposed to just tossing away or saving for another white elephant party...

Of course, parties, in general, cause me so much undue stress, being the ridiculously shy person I am. But it must've helped for me to get up at 4:45 this morning and work out, because Rick said I seemed much more calm before I left for work, even in the face of "impending doom." And I HATE impending doom. He also said that for regular, normal, non-shy people, life is all pink unicorns and butterflies. (I KNEW it... I've always suspected that it would be magical and amazing to be a regular, normal, non-shy person...) Needless to say, I am SO happy this week is over. Next week should be three pretty quiet days and then it'll be time to pack and head up to Chicago for Christmas! I CAN. NOT. WAIT.

But for now, I shall put on some PJs, turn on my tree lights, maybe drink some hot chocolate, and find a good holiday movie to watch. Because I need to soak in as much Christmas as possible while I still can...

No comments: