Monday, March 05, 2007

How do you spell that?

Well, apparently Greg’s comfortability was negatively affected by my recent posts about made-up words and the Food Network. He has politely requested I talk about baseball “or something” (which I’m assuming is another way of saying “Jack Bauer and 24”). Oh hey, speaking of Jack Bauer – I DID just happen to see that animated movie “The Wild” on HBO a few days ago. Parts of it are a very obvious rip-off of “Madagascar” (I love Madagascar… the movie, not the country. I mean, I’ve never BEEN to the country, so I wouldn’t know if I loved it or not… I’m sure it’s quite lovely…) – but even with the obvious copying, it was an okay movie. And the voice of the lion in The Wild was performed by none other than Jack Bauer… uh, I mean Kiefer Sutherland. In the story, the lion is searching for his son, who has accidentally been shipped to Africa. At one point, he turns to his animal cohorts and plaintively cries, “this is a rescue mission now!” I swear I thought I’d switched over to 24… :)

But since I’ve been talking about words, I have a random question – why do rap and hip hop songs always seem to include some sort of spelling lesson? I sometimes watch MTV or VH1 in the mornings, because I like to keep up-to-date with what the young-uns are listening to these days. And this morning I heard that Fergie song “Glamorous.” And right off the bat, we get the spelling lesson: “g-l-a-m… o-r-o-u-s.” And then again, in case we missed it the first time: “g-l-a-m… o-r-o-u-s.” I KNOW how to spell “glamorous,” Fergie… you don’t have to explain it to me. Fergie also likes to make sure everyone knows how to spell her name, as she tells us in “Fergalicious” (sheesh – talk about ridiculous made-up words…). She’s the “f to the e-r-g the i the e…” Or, if we put it in proper lyrical form:

She’s the f to the e-r-g the i the e
How much more annoying could this silly song be?

Not much, actually. That’s my guess. But really – why is there so much spelling in rap and hip hop? I’m just curious… is there going to be a pop quiz eventually? Will I need a number 2 pencil?

Okay, anyway… back to baseball – which I was never actually talking about, but as long as it was requested, I might as well bring it up. I can not WAIT for baseball season to officially begin. Only a few more weeks. And only a few more weeks until the fantasy baseball draft, which I am nervously awaiting. I have no idea who my first pick will be. And the other day, Rick was lamenting the fact that he might “have” to take Pujols as his first pick. Oh yeah, what a horrible thing THAT would be… oh, woe is me, I have the best offensive player in baseball… whatever shall I do?? Supposedly (supposably) my number nine pick isn’t such a bad thing – since I get two picks relatively close together. But we’ll see how that pans out…

I’m just looking forward to baseball being on TV and the radio again. It’s always great to know that when it’s a really slow TV night, and Jack Bauer is nowhere to be found, you can usually find a baseball game somewhere. I was a little surprised to see that apparently the Yankees are only playing the Rangers one time this year, in May – isn’t that kind of strange? They usually match up with a team a few times during the year. So I doubt I’ll get to see the Yankees play this year, unless maybe I fly up to New York some time…

Well, speaking of baseball, I just realized there’s a pre-season game on YES, so I might as well go watch an inning or two. So until next time, this is L to the I to the S to the A, saying peace out…

4 comments:

JBAE Rampage said...

Baseball, yes! A welcome relief indeed. Lisa, you…rather…it…would help me…I mean US …a great deal for you to indicate what two players you are looking at drafting with your first two picks. I'm drafting in the 8th spot (which is one spot before you on the way up...and one spot behind you on the way down) So...there might be some shared level of annoyance we'll experience together as either one of us could potentially draft the other's target player one pick before the other. So, in an effort to avoid that sort of nasty situation from occurring, I propose that we communicate personal strategies now and avoid any needless confusion and exasperation. I'm sure that I...ahem...WE can come up with a mutually beneficial drafting scenario. I promise to negotiate in good faith and advise you accordingly.

With the acceptance of this proposal, I anticipate a successful drafting relationship with you. This offer is valid for five (5) days after blog comment opening and subject to the terms and conditions of the Stokes Creative Response to Evil Women Entering Drafts Agreement (SCREWED’A) and governed by the provisions of the participating addenda entitled “every man for himself" and "female fantasy players be damned to a horrible hellish fire.” Please respond with your level of comfortability to this proposal.

Sincerely

Nicholas Stokes

Anonymous said...

One word Lisa-Montreal Expos. 'nuff said.

JBAE Rampage said...

Amen! Eric. I agree. OR, Lisa how about these three words..."Yankee Farm System" These minor league players will eventually make their way up to playing full time in the majors. You might as well just draft them now...they're already a bunch of Jeter clones anyway. They all look like him and I'm sure the more men on your team who look like Derek jeter, the better. This is a great strategy.

Lisa said...

SCREWED'A?? I'm still laughing at that... :)

My comfortability with your proposal is contingent upon the removal of the "female fantasy players be damned to a horrible hellish fire" addendum. Please draft a new contract, and I shall pass it along to my lawyer for review...

Of course, Eric already gave away my "draft only Montreal Expos players" strategy. What am I supposed to do NOW??

And I'm not convinced that a team full of Jeter lookalikes would be the way to go... I must remember what I'll call the "Turnbow Effect," which states a player's abilities are directly proportional to the reverse of their attractiveness until the All Star Break, at which point a magnetic shift occurs and a player's abilities are directly proportional to their attractiveness. So it would make more sense to draft a whole bunch of ugly guys, and then trade them all away halfway through the season...

:)