Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Back home...

How funny – a few days ago, I wrote that post about Rick’s sunglasses and used that line from Seinfeld about the angry sea… and today, they actually aired that episode on TBS. That’s a silly coincidence. :)

Anyway… we got home yesterday afternoon, feeling quite exhausted and disappointed in the obvious absence of Hula Pie in the house. Eric left Hawaii a day before the rest of us did, so after we dropped him off at the airport on Saturday, we went to Duke’s to introduce Eric and Debbie to the magical world of Hula Pie. (Eric was uninterested in even sampling the concoction – a bizarre stance I can only describe as “his loss” and “more Hula Pie for the rest of us.” :)) And then we made sure to return to Duke’s once more before our own flight on Sunday night. I guess it’s really good that we don’t have constant access to Hula Pie here on the mainland – I’m not sure I could resist it very often. (Although we WERE wondering if Duke’s could pack some up in dry ice to ship to other parts of the country…) Farewell, Hula Pie… till we meet again…

The plane ride back from Kauai to L.A. was rather bumpy – not horribly so, just enough to be annoying and disrupt the sleep I was attempting to get. And what’s more, for some reason the airline showed the same movie on the way back that was shown on the way TO Hawaii. And I didn’t like the movie THAT much the first time… But I guess I eventually fell asleep for a little while, because I completely missed the end of the movie that I’d already watched on my previous flight (not that I was trying to watch it again…).

I did try to nap when we got home yesterday, but decided to get up when Piva kept using my head as a pillow and attempted to burrow into my neck. Rick took a couple pictures… maybe I’ll post them later. But I slept really well last night – although when I woke up around 10 o’clock this morning, I felt like I easily could’ve slept another two hours or so. (Hey, it was only six Hawaii time…)

Rick apparently only gained two pounds on the trip, but I’ve been unable to will myself to step on the scale – I think I’ll wait a couple weeks. Nevermind the fact that Thanksgiving is only two days away and the grocery stores are already full of holiday-themed, chocolate-covered, sugary-sweet, yummy-looking treats that only materialize this time of year. I’ve already had to make sure I bypass the cartons of peppermint ice cream in the frozen foods section. I think it’s so weird how I really don’t like peppermint in most forms – I hate candy canes and peppermint candy – but I LOVE peppermint ice cream. I just can’t get enough of it if I start eating it. Which is why I must avoid it altogether…

Well, I suppose I should head off to bed and try to get up earlier tomorrow… eventually I’ll be back on Austin time…

No comments: