Friday, August 22, 2008

Friday random thoughts...

So it’s been a quiet week… no news on the Chicago job front, which is starting to seriously wear on Rick AND me – it’s so frustrating to have no idea whether I should be packing things up in the house, and cleaning it to get ready to show it, and searching for home listings in Chicago, etc, etc, etc. What am I supposed to be doing? Could someone tell me already? This is getting ridiculous…

But at least ONE member of the extended family is moving to Chicago – Kiko, mom and dad’s crazy little calico cat, is heading up to her new home in Eric’s condo today. She was okay when the only other cat around was Ozzie – patient, nothing-ever-fazes-him Ozzie. But then Dusty came along, and Kiko was NOT happy with that. And then Tiger and Koala… and pretty soon, Kiko had decided she’d had enough of all these other cats trying to steal her much-deserved spotlight. SHE is supposed to be the queen of the house, thank you very much. So hopefully, a change of venue and an entire condo all to herself will be just the thing Kiko needs to be a content little cat once again…

Yesterday was our fifteenth wedding anniversary. (What??? Fifteen years?? Wasn’t I just fifteen years OLD not too long ago? I mean, I can’t be much more than twenty by now, right? Fifteen years… that’s crazy… :)) It’s funny, because the anniversary I remember most vividly is our seventh – we were on a cruise in the Baltic Sea (that was a great cruise, too – the cruise where we met Crazy Estonian Tour Guide Guy), and someone had told our waiter that it was our 7th anniversary. But somewhere the communication was a bit muddled up, because after dinner we were presented with a cake that read “Happy 70th Birthday.” We’re not sure if it was supposed to go to a different table, or if the person who wrote on the cake misunderstood – but either way, I thought it was pretty hilarious. We should’ve had a “Happy 150th Birthday” cake yesterday…

So has everyone been watching the Olympics? I was really having fun watching Michael Phelps compete – but I’ve kinda lost interest since then. Although I am interested to see what happens with that whole Chinese gymnast controversy. Those girls really DO look pretty young… but then again, the people at Yankee Stadium thought I was 14 until I was about 20 – so who am I to judge??

My ugly kitchen burn is healing pretty nicely… although I won’t be surprised if I have a scar left over. I think from now on, I’ll just cook everything wearing oven mitts. I’ll boil water with oven mitts, and make soup with oven mitts, and chop vegetables with oven mitts… I’ll even serve up bowls of ice cream with oven mitts (yeah, that’s right – haven’t you heard of freezer burn?). The point is, my arms will always be protected from the lurking dangers of the kitchen… I think it’s a reasonable precaution…

I can’t believe that August is winding down already. That means school will be starting soon, which in turn means that a trip to the mall in the middle of the week will be much quieter, less hectic, and a lot more pleasant. I love it when school starts. (As opposed to when I had to GO to school, at which time I HATED it when school started. But now I can say stuff like, “hahaha! I get to go to the mall in the middle of the week and all you kids have to go to school! Haha!” You can see how much I’ve matured since I was a kid…)

Well, that’s about it for now. I hope everyone has a great weekend! And now I’m going to put on some oven mitts and reheat my coffee in the microwave…

Thinking happy Chicago thoughts...

No comments: