Friday, August 01, 2008

Friday random thoughts...

Wow – is it really August 1st already? What happened to June and July? I think I must’ve accidentally missed them…

This is the time of year I used to hate when I was a kid – August, the last official month of summer. After two carefree months of reckless summer vacation abandon, August was the month when everything started winding down. Oh sure, there were still a few weeks of freedom left – but something would shift in the atmosphere of daily life, and what would start as a barely imperceptible feeling of dread would slowly grow stronger and stronger toward the end of the month. It certainly didn’t help that stores had “back to school” signs displayed everywhere, and TV commercials were filled with excited kids in new clothes clutching brand new notebooks and backpacks. THEY all seemed so happy to be returning to school after a summer of not-a-care-in-the-world… (what was WRONG with those kids???) Now, of course, when I see those back to school ads, I smile to myself and think, “hahahaha… I don’t have to go back to school… unless I WANT to…” (And, yes, I’m using my sing-songy, nyah nyah nyah voice when I say that…)

It’s been soooooo hot in Austin lately. Usually we get maybe three or four days of 100+ degree weather during the summer, but this summer we’ve had WEEKS of 100+ weather. Rumor has it we’re supposed to hit 104 or 105 over the weekend. (In contrast, it’s supposed to be mid-80’s in Chicago over the weekend…)

So the possibility of moving to Chicago is looking better and better (apparently I’m not actually supposed to SAY that, because Rick thinks I might jinx it… :)). I’m definitely excited about the prospect of moving up there, but at the same time, I can’t stop thinking about all the stuff I’ll have to do once everything is certain. (Because I’m STILL not willing to actually start planning anything right now. Not until we have an absolute, 100 percent certain offer to move…) So I really shouldn’t even be worrying about all the stuff I MIGHT have to do, when I don’t actually KNOW I’ll have to do any of it. Who knows…

I just saw part of a show on the National Geographic channel about jellyfish… according to the show, these brainless creatures (I’m not being mean – seriously, they have no brains…) are becoming more prolific in oceans throughout the world. Some of them can be deadly if they sting you, even if you manage to get to a hospital. There was one jellyfish in particular that causes all sorts of horrible pain and suffering, and it’s so small you’d barely be able to see it if it was swimming right next to you. And the tiny little thing is showing up in oceans all over the place – not just warm, tropical water, but cooler water as well. There’ve been stings everywhere from Australia to Great Britain. And all I could think, as I was watching this show, was, “I can’t wait to go to Hawaii in September.” Of course, now I’m not sure I’ll actually want to go INTO the ocean, but we’ll see… (Do you think National Geographic over-dramatizes the jellyfish threat for entertainment purposes???)

The light in my laundry room has inexplicably died. At first, I just assumed the bulbs had burned out – but after replacing them with brand new bulbs, the light is STILL stubbornly refusing to work. So I guess it’s the light itself, and not the bulbs. What’s more, my dryer has only been working intermittently – sometimes it’ll run for five or ten minutes, and then stop… and other times, it runs through an entire dry cycle with no problems. So I have to continually monitor it, to make sure I don’t end up with damp clothes. I’m assuming this laundry room breakdown is all some kind of sign that I should stop doing laundry… perhaps I should start taking everything to the dry cleaner’s…

I guess that’s about it for now… hope everyone has a good weekend (and if you live in Texas, try to stay cool…)! Better go check on that dryer again…

No comments: