Saturday, October 01, 2011

Changing of the seasons...

Happy October, everyone. I'm happy to say, that even with the chilly weather we've had lately, I managed to wait until October 1st to turn my heat on. Okay, to clarify -- I waited until it was October 1st in Asia (thanks, Faisal :)). In reality, I broke down yesterday morning and finally flipped the switch on the heater, because when I ventured out to the kitchen to make breakfast, I realized my hands and feet felt like ice... It was either accept the fact that summer is really, truly over and turn on the heat, or spend the entire day huddled under a blanket. The heat won, and I am now willing to accept the arrival of autumn. This year, by the way, is sort of flying by at an alarmingly fast pace. Wasn't it just Christmas? Have we really been here in Chicago for almost an entire year??

Sometimes, I forget that this used to be the view from my condo:


Ah, amazing downtown view, how I miss you. And yet I love this condo about a million times more than our rental, so I can deal with the loss. :) Besides, the view here isn't HORRIBLE. Just last night, in fact, as I was making dinner, I looked out the windows and suddenly realized the setting sun was casting an amazing orange-pink light on the buildings, and I ran to get my camera (which was flashing with a low battery indicator, but I managed to snap a few photos before it died).


Unfortunately, in the time it took me to finish chopping whatever vegetable I was chopping, wash my hands, and grab the camera, the light changed -- it was much more impressive when I first noticed it. But at least it made me realize that I should probably keep my camera handy around here, just like I used to at the old place.

Besides, with the way time is flying by, apparently Christmas will be here in about two minutes, and I'm sure I'll have pictures to take of snow and lights and trees. I should start making my shopping list...

2 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I love the setting sun on the buildings.

Here in the UK we've been having a heatwave. It's really weird. I'm sitting here in shorts and a t-shirt. Apparently it's going to change soon, but it's been a lovely treat to sunbathe and have a barbecue!

Lisa said...

We had the same thing this past week -- it was at least 80 degrees every day! So after I went ahead and turned the heat on back on the 1st, I ended up going back to A/C again! But I have a feeling that's the last of our warm weather for the year -- Chicago takes winter very seriously... :)