Monday, August 20, 2012

Aaaaaaaaaall kinds of random...

Well, I have just been HORRIBLE with updating this blog lately, haven't I?? Where has my mind been? Apparently not on writing for the blog...

So let's see... what's been going on? Not much of interest, which I suppose has contributed to the lack of blog postings. :) We got new blinds for the condo -- we've been making do with the ones that were on the windows when we bought the place. (Unlike the refrigerator, which I needed to replace as soon as we moved in. It was just... ew...) The old blinds were okay, but they had weird spaces where bugs went to die... they were impossible to get clean. And they didn't block out much light -- which I didn't mind at all in the living room, especially since I rarely ever lower the blinds (I like LOTS of light in my living space), but the bedroom never really got dark... even at night, because of all the streetlights outside. But with the new blinds, the bedroom has seemed SO dark the last few nights -- which is nice for sleeping, but harder for making my way around the bed in the dark...

Rick and I watched the Hunger Games movie last night -- we saw it back when it first came out, in March or April or so... and I was rather unimpressed at the time. I think I just expected so much more -- it was hyped like crazy for weeks, and after reading the books, I knew what all the characters were like and where all the action occurred in the story. And the movie was much shorter on characterization and not long enough to cover all the action, so I walked out of the theater feeling underwhelmed. But when I watched it again last night, I actually liked it a lot more -- maybe because I knew what to expect, so I didn't have such high expectations. Maybe I'll enjoy movies two and three more if I remember not to expect a perfect recreation of the books...

Our car gave me quite the compliment last week. (Yes, the CAR.) We took it to a dealership to have the oil changed... and we also asked them to check on the passenger side airbag, because lately a light has been lighting up on the dashboard to indicate that the car isn't sensing a passenger in the seat, even when I'm sitting there. When we picked the car up after the oil change, the mechanic said they couldn't get the light to come on, so he said if it happened again to bring the car back. Well, it lit up as soon as we started the car and I was back in the passenger seat. So Rick called the mechanic back over to the car, he switched places with me, and I stood outside the car, awkwardly loitering in the parking lot. When the mechanic got out of the car, he smiled at me and announced, "you're too light!" Apparently the airbag sensor doesn't always know I'm there because I don't WEIGH enough?!? (Um... thanks for the compliment, Car.) I realize I'm not a huge person, but I'm also not exactly a tiny wisp of a thing... seems like my weight should be considered reasonable for a human adult, so it's surprising that the sensor wouldn't notice me. Unless even CARS are now assuming that all Americans are overweight...

The Chicago Air and Water Show was in town this weekend. And this is one of the great things about living downtown -- unlike many of the people who attended, Rick and I didn't have to search for parking. In fact, we didn't even start our Saturday afternoon planning to watch any of the show -- we just had lunch at a restaurant a few blocks from the lake, and then we were like, "eh, you wanna walk over and see what's going on?" So we headed out to Lake Shore Drive and ended up watching the last hour of the show. We'd actually been getting a bit of a preview for a few days, because the Blue Angels were flying all around the city on Thursday and Friday:






Those last two were taken when we were actually at the show, and all we had were the cameras on our phones (like I said, we weren't really planning to go watch -- if we had, maybe we would've brought a decent camera! :)). Although Rick's iPhone camera really isn't THAT bad...

Well, that's about all the randomness I can muster today... one of these days, I shall return to a regularly scheduled posting pattern... Hope everyone had a good weekend!

2 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

I like that, being too light for an air bag sensor. :D

Lisa said...

Hehe... :) I'm still not convinced that's the actual reason for the indicator light, but hey, I'll just take the compliment. :)