Thursday, July 19, 2007

Argh!

My internet has been down for an entire day! I'm at mom and dad's house, using mom's computer so I can post something before anyone starts wondering where I've disappeared to. My internet connection stopped working yesterday around noon, and at first I didn't think much of it -- it happens so often, I figured it was just another Time Warner cable malfunction in the neighborhood. Normally, I call my mom to see if her cable is out, too, just to make sure my house isn't the only one. But yesterday, after the internet went out for the millionth time in the last few months, I just ASSUMED it was once again a neighborhood-wide event. And as Rick will no doubt remind me for the rest of my life -- I should never assume anything when the cable goes out...

Because when it STILL wasn't back up by 7 or 8 o'clock last night, I finally called my mom -- only to find out it WAS just my house. Her internet was working just fine. And it was only at that point that I had a flashback to morning, when I returned to my house after going out for my morning coffee, and a Time Warner van was parked at my next-door neighbor's house. It didn't seem to be important at the time, so I just ignored it. But now I realize the cable technician must've screwed up MY cable when he was working on my neighbor's cable...

And once again Rick is saying, "always call your mom to make sure it isn't just our house... always!" Because if I'd thought about it when it first went out, we could've called up the cable guy and told him to get back out here and fix the problem. As it was, however, Time Warner didn't get the call until evening, and of course at that point they were shutting down and going home and past the point of caring about whether their technicians know what the heck they're doing. So now we have to wait until afternoon before anyone will be out at our house to fix the cable.

And I'm just wondering -- how in the world did we survive before the internet??

No comments: