Friday, August 17, 2007

Friday randomness...

So last night I was flipping through the channel guide on my TV, and I saw a movie was on Showtime called “The Proposition.” But when my eyes were scanning the titles on the screen, I initially thought it was a movie called “The Preposition.” And I was like, wow, an entire movie devoted to a part of speech! That’s amazing. I wonder which preposition has the staring role… In? Of? With? By? Do other parts of speech have parts in the story? Is there some kind of crazy, digitally-animated battle between the pronouns and the verbs at the end of the movie? But then I realized I’d read the title wrong, and my interest in the movie waned… (oh, it’s The PROposition… who cares…)

And speaking of prepositions, I recently read something about that popular grammar rule we were all taught in school – “never end a sentence with a preposition.” As it turns out, this particular “rule” was carried over from Latin grammar, where it really IS improper to end a sentence with a preposition. English grammar, however, easily accommodates this “erroneous” sentence structure. In fact, literature is full of sentence-ending prepositions – even literature written centuries ago by very proper British ladies and gentlemen who would never think to sully the English language. So I think it’s rather obvious that this particular grammar decree is ignorable. Now all I have to do is decide which preposition I want to end this paragraph with…

I have a huge bruise on my wrist, and I can’t remember how I got it. I do have a vague recollection of banging my arm against something a couple days ago, although I can’t remember what. And now I have this big greenish/yellowish/purplish blotch on my arm. It’s lovely, really. I should coordinate my clothing colors to match my charming little injury…

So I’ve finally broken away from ninth place in my fantasy baseball league, and have climbed all the way up to eighth. I rule. Okay, maybe not. I hope the Yankees will start remembering how to win again soon… they were doing so well for a while there. And, for some reason, I decided to play Pettitte tonight… so they’d really better win. I’m serious. I’ll fly up there and bean them all in the head with baseballs if they lose again…

We’re flying up to Chicago next week, which I’m really looking forward to. I can’t wait to visit Eric in his sparsely-furnished condo. (I wonder if he has a desk yet, or if his computer is still sitting on the floor?) We’re trying a new hotel this time – we usually stay at the Renaissance, but when mom called for reservations a couple weeks ago, they couldn’t guarantee king-sized beds. (And I’m sorry, but once you’ve been sleeping in a king-sized bed for a while, you start to wonder how anyone could sleep in something smaller… :)) So I’ve been wanting to try this hotel I saw on Great Hotels on the travel channel a while ago – it’s called the Hotel Monaco, and it looks a little more “eclectic” than the traditional Renaissance hotel. Samantha Brown on the travel channel seemed to like it…

And speaking of Samantha Brown – right now I have an episode of “Passport to Europe” on, and she’s in Salzburg, Austria, birthplace of Mozart. She’s eating Mozartkugeln – these really yummy little hazelnut/pistachio/marzipan chocolates that someone created in honor of the composer, and now they’re sold all over Austria, and in various other places around the world. There’s an “original” Mozartkugeln that really is the best – but the “imitations” aren’t bad, either. (It’s chocolate – how bad could it be??) The last time I found Mozartkugeln was when we were in San Francisco – San Francisco was such a chocolate-crazy town that I’m not surprised I found it there. But I wish it was easier to find… (although I guess it’s good that it’s not – I’d probably have piles of Mozartkugeln all over my house, and little hidden stashes of Mozartkugeln in closets and pieces buried in dresser drawers…)

Okay, I guess that’s enough randomness for today… time to find something to eat for lunch… hope everyone has a good weekend!

No comments: