Thursday, April 09, 2009

Another day, another post with random thoughts...

vnnnnnrt55555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

5555555555555555z

Everybody got that? It’s a secret message from Piva. (This is what she does when I have a Word document open and I step away from the computer for a few minutes… she also put my laptop into “sleep” mode, so I had to hit the power button and wait for it to warm up again…) It’s funny that Piva walks right onto my computer keyboard whenever she feels like it, but Allegro has always made the effort to leap OVER it, so as not to disturb the keys… (or so as not to disturb her paws…)

Anyway… baseball season has started! And with it, fantasy baseball… I have to say, these first few days have NOT been good to my team. I’m feeling a bit like the 0 and 2 Yankees right now. My top two draft picks – Webb and Sizemore – have been extremely disappointing so far, leaving me stranded down in the fantasy baseball basement once more. This is exactly where I started last year – actually, last year, I started with a NEGATIVE point count, which required several days of games to return to zero. By the time I'd made it back to where I’d started, everyone else was well into the several-hundred point range. So I am looking on THAT bright side, at least – I have a positive number of points. It’s just a lot less than everyone ELSE’S positive number of points. But I am vowing to be patient, seeing as we’re not even a full week into the very long baseball season, and I have several players on the DL right now. Sometime around May, I should have a few really decent people back on my roster – and then everyone else had better watch out. Because I’m going to sneak my way out of the basement when no one is looking…

So last night I had the news on for a few minutes, before I’d found something else to watch (I really don’t like watching the news – because it seems like most of the news is bad…). And I thought I heard one of the reporters say something strange as she was talking about the parishioners in a Catholic church. So I rewound my Tivo (isn’t Tivo great?) and played it back – sure enough, the reporter said that many of the church-goers were “clutching rosemary beads.” Rosemary beads??? Rosemary? Like the herb that tastes so good with chicken? Are rosemary beads similar to basil beads? Or are they more like oregano beads? Personally, I prefer lavender beads, because they smell so nice… I mean, c’mon – shouldn’t a reporter know that she’s talking about ROSARY beads?? I’m not even Catholic and I know they’re rosary beads…

Speaking of religion – today is Passover, and this weekend is Easter. I always find it interesting that Easter is really the holiest of Christian holidays – the foundation of the whole religion – and yet Christmas gets so much more air time. Although I suppose it’s more the secular world that has decided Christmas should be such a big deal (I have to admit, though, that I really love all the Christmas-season pomp and circumstance… :)). Maybe the simplicity of Easter makes it more meaningful. Once you’re past childhood, and no longer receiving baskets of candy from a scary giant bunny (seriously – does no one else find it extremely terrifying to think of how BIG the Easter Bunny would have to be to jump from house to house with those baskets?? It would be like some kind of nuclear accident freak bunny…) – once you’re no longer waking up to baskets of candy and egg hunts, you’re simply left with the story of Easter. And it’s much easier to reflect on the meaning when you haven’t overindulged in chocolate and jelly beans…

And I definitely need to get away from overindulging. We’ve had so many guests in town the last few weeks, so there have been many dinners out and many desserts at mom and dad’s house, and many trips to Freddy’s Frozen Custard (which recently opened a few miles down the road so it’s a bit of a novelty right now…). But I’ve also been doing REALLY well with my workouts – I had sort of plateaued with the effort I was putting forth, walking an easy two or two and half miles most days. Which is great for general fitness, but not great for seeing changes in how your jeans fit. So I started adding on to my mileage, and I’m up to walking/jogging about four and half miles at a time. Working my way toward five… (But I still need to lay off the frozen custard… :))

Okay, I’m off to watch the final inning of the Yankee game. They’re finally winning a game, so I need to concentrate on Yankee voodoo to make sure the Orioles don’t stage a comeback… :)

3 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

The sniping by Yankee and Red Sox fans has already begun in my unit.

And as the solitary Met fan, I'm not even watching any games this year, so it'll be fun watching my co-workers work themselves into a psychotic frenzy whenever the Sox or the Yanks lose more that one game in a row.

Lisa said...

Yeah, Yankees/Red Sox fans can get a little rabid now and then. I generally like to save my predictions of the season's outcome until after the All-Star break -- right now, it's just too early to be bragging about my team or bad-mouthing anyone else's...

So no games this year? You're not even going to go see one in the new Citi Field? I've heard they serve some great cannoli in that park -- with blue and orange sprinkles... :)

G. B. Miller said...

Nah.

Can't get into the proper state of mind for it.

I got too much on my plate right now and one of the things I can't really do is multi-task while I'm writing.

So what I'll probably be doing is follow them via Foxsports or my local newspaper.

Sad I know, but it is what it is.

I think its easier for me to follow football.