Monday, April 20, 2009

It's so quiet...

So today begins the post-visitor slump – people from the north have been flocking to Texas this last month, presumably in an effort to escape some of the cold weather. Some were successful (sunny, 75 degrees, not a cloud in the sky…) and others not so successful (cloudy, rainy, thunderstorms…) – although I suspect it was still warmer here in the south than it was up north. But spring weather in Austin is frustratingly unpredictable – there have been many times when I’ve gotten up in the morning and thrown on a sweater, only to walk outside and realize a t-shirt would’ve been much more appropriate. And vice versa. And sometimes it changes in the middle of the day… I can’t always be walking around with a change of clothing, you know?

Now that everyone is gone, it’s time to get back into a decent routine. I’ve eaten out so much the last few weeks that it’s been a major effort to NOT gain any weight… and losing weight has been, well, a losing battle. But this afternoon we will be making a trip to Whole Foods to stock up on fruits and veggies and whatever else I need to create some healthy (yet yummy – because let’s face it, if it doesn’t TASTE good, you’re not gonna eat it…) dinners. I actually really LIKE cooking and trying new recipes from Fitness or Shape (the two magazines I subscribe to), and trying new things tends to make the whole “eating healthy” thing more fun. I think that’s the main reason that “diets” never work – because why should you have to limit yourself to no-carb-no-fat-carrot-sticks-tofu-skinny-latte-no-chocolate for the rest of your life? If you don’t allow yourself a lot of variety, you’re not going to want to stick to it. I am a big proponent of the “everything in moderation” school of thought. I eat whatever I want, but I don’t always eat it ALL at one time… Unfortunately, it’s harder to control portions and ingredients at a restaurant. And when faced with a dessert menu, chances are I’m going to order something off of it.

But I don’t have a dessert menu in my house… so that’s a good start, at least… :)

3 comments:

Mom said...

And here I thought people came to see US, not the weather. :-)
And I don't remember having to twist anyone's arm to force them to eat the apple pie or the frozen custard or the dessert at Jasper's! (Or is that desert?) :-)

I love you!
Mom

Dave said...

...it's dessert...speaking of which, I could really go for some of your homemade strawberry shortcake...mmmmmmmmmm

Lani/Mom said...

Hi Dave, The "dessert/desert" thing came about when we ate at a certain restaurant one night, and they had a dessert called "Dessert Toast". I looked at it and called it "Desert Toast". So no one has let me forget it. :-) We will just have to come up to NJ when the strawberries are ready for picking! We just can't get good strawberries here.