Monday, May 18, 2009

Multiple madness...

So I had a fairly uneventful weekend… I think… I mean, I can’t really remember anything interesting happening, so yeah – I’m gonna go with “uneventful.” Saturday was ridiculously rainy and unseasonably cool – which meant that I discovered I had (inadvertently) dressed inappropriately for the weather as soon as I stepped outside. I turned around and went back into the house for a long-sleeved t-shirt before Rick and I ventured out to the mall. And I suppose THAT was the highlight of my weekend – my trip to the mall, where I finally made use of some gift cards I received for Christmas. I bought lots of girly, perfumed lotions and sprays. (I just love Bath and Bodyworks… :))

Oh, in other “what happened over the weekend” news: I have finally climbed out of the fantasy baseball basement, and am now on the fantasy baseball, oh, let’s call it the second floor – I can see the sunlight through the windows, but I’m definitely not in the penthouse suite yet. (In other words, I’m in sixth place. I could’ve just said, “I’m in sixth place,” but I so enjoy my Fantasy Baseball Hotel analogy…) My offense had an extremely productive weekend – my guys were hitting home runs and stealing bases left and right. Let’s hope they can all keep this up for the rest of the season. Even my up-until-now abysmal pitching is starting to show signs of life, so I am cautiously optimistic about the next few months…

So does anyone else wonder when the TLC channel (and yes, I realize TLC stands for “the learning channel” so I basically just said “the the learning channel channel”) turned into the “families with a gazillion children” channel (which would be “TFWAGCC”)?? It seems like every other show on TLC has something to do with gigantic families. First there’s the Duggar family – a family of about thirty-nine children (okay, I think it’s actually “only” eighteen or nineteen…) who annoy me to no end. I don’t even know why, exactly – I’m sure the Duggars are perfectly nice people. And I give them credit for actually taking responsibility for their insanely huge family – somehow, they manage to afford all those kids and their need for food and shelter. But it always makes me bristle to hear someone say they’re leaving the size of their family “up to God.” As if we’re all a bunch of mindless marionettes who can’t make decisions and must simply sit around until the strings are pulled. That’s why God gave us a BRAIN – so we could at least ATTEMPT to use it once in a while. And besides – why on earth would you pop out baby after baby after baby when there are SO MANY children out there who need homes? If you want a gigantic family, fine – but at some point, can’t you put your own selfishness aside and make room for a family member who does NOT share in your gene pool??? Grrrrrr... (can you tell this a pet peeve of mine? :))

And now there’s a new show called “Table for Twelve,” or something like that. This is a family with a measly ten kids (the Duggars must laugh at the quaintness of it all…), who, apparently, sit around a great big table together. Okay, I haven’t actually SEEN the show, because, as may be obvious, I really don’t like shows about tons of kids. But the MOST annoying show of them all – and I’ve held this opinion since I first saw a five or ten minute clip a couple years ago – is Jon and Kate Plus 8. The first time I saw part of that show, I had to turn it off – I could not STAND to watch Kate and her sanctimonious attitude and her nitpicky nagging and her obvious, belittling dislike of her husband. Even those small clips I saw made me think, “why on earth are these two together?” I could never bring myself to watch an entire episode, for fear I would type off some kind of hate mail to TLC and demand they bring back the interesting shows they USED to air...

And what a shock – now all the tabloids are abuzz with gossip over Jon’s affair and Kate’s affair and the probable end of their marriage. And I have to admit, my first thought was, “Jon had an affair? Huh… I don’t blame him…” It reminded me of one of Rick’s and my favorite shows, The Soup – every Friday night, The Soup recaps the most ridiculous clips from talk shows and reality shows from the previous week. Every now and then, they’ll have a clip from Jon and Kate Plus 8 – usually one where Kate is trying her best to make Jon look like an idiot. They’ll then cut back to the host of The Soup, who advertises a fictional upcoming show on TLC – Jon Minus 9. And it looks like that might not be so far off now…

Can it possibly be worth it? If you have a gigantic family, is it honestly worth the exploitation to gain fame and fortune? I mean, I have a feeling Jon and Kate would’ve had problems even WITHOUT all the cameras… but then again, maybe the Duggars and any other huge TLC families should get out NOW while their families are still happy and intact.

And don’t even get me STARTED on Octomom…

No comments: