Monday, September 07, 2009

Athens pics...

Another batch of pictures!

Rick's parents in Piraeus...


The view as we climbed the myriad steps at the Acropolis...


The sprawling city of Athens...


Getting closer to the Parthenon...


Another view of the city behind ruins...


This is the Propylaea, which I believe was sort of a gateway to the rest of the Acropolis (it was also replete with hazardous, slippery marble steps)...



The crowd on the slippery marble steps of the Propylaea...


Best to sit down when taking a picture, lest I lose my footing on the crazy steps...


Dad, ever the adventurer, was willing to risk the perilous marble (well, of COURSE he was -- it meant more steps on his pedometer :))...


The Parthenon -- our one disappointment was that most of the building was covered in scaffolding. But I suppose that's a necessity when an ancient structure is being restored...


A closeup of some of the columns (sans scaffolding)...


The Erechtheum -- notice the columns on the right are actually robed statues...


This was the Temple of Olympian Zeus, which is about 15 minutes from the Acropolis... the tiny person at the bottom is me...


Detail of some of the columns...


Olympic stadium, which was built thousands (yes, THOUSANDS) of years ago, and originally had wooden seats. It was then redone entirely in marble. It was renovated again in the 1800s, and refurbished for the 2004 Summer Olympics...


When we were there, our taxi driver ran over to an olive tree and fashioned a wreath from the branches, which was the sole reward for winners of the ancient Olympic games. For some reason, everyone told him to put it on MY head... So here I am as the winner of some ancient Olympic game, with Cindy, Aunt Carol (shaking my hand in congratulations), Mom and Nick...


This poor guy was the Greek equivalent of a guard at Buckingham Palace -- the ones who can't move, no matter what. I actually watched him for a while to make sure he was blinking, because I wasn't sure he was real...


Okay, this wasn't in Athens -- it was on our ship. But I had to take a picture after I read it... :)

No comments: