Sunday, March 07, 2010

Sunday evening random thoughts...

How was everyone's weekend? I feel slightly rested up from two weeks of crazy at work, including a weekend of annual report proofing last weekend. Thankfully, I didn't have any at-home work this weekend... which was good, because by Friday afternoon I believe my eyeballs were attempting to pop themselves out of my head, desperately trying to avoid any more reading. So these last two days have been quite nice, although I'm anticipating another crazy week starting tomorrow... hope my eyes forgive me...

So the Academy Awards are tonight... and I just really couldn't care less. I mean, is it just me, or are these awards shows pretty much just a way for actors to pat themselves on the back for being so "awesome"? Seriously, what do they DO, exactly?? Basically, they dress in costumes and play pretend for a living... we ALL did that when we were five years old... it's not like it's brain surgery... (when are the Brain Surgeon Awards??) Not to mention the fact that more often than not, half of them use awards shows as a political platform to spout their hatred of evil, conservative, rich, capitalists -- all while traveling in their private jets and fancy limos and wearing thousands of dollars worth of jewelry and designer dresses. Hmmm... Everyone is a hypocrite, but Hollywood seems to be full of super-hypocrites...

I think that our "Texas winter" is pretty much over. We came SO close to having REAL snow this year -- it actually did snow for a few hours a couple weeks ago. But as usual, it amounted to nothing. It was hilarious, however, to see people driving 25 miles per hour on roads that were no more treacherous than when it rains, simply because they could SEE snow flying around in the air. (Just a little hint: if it was 75 degrees the day before the "snow" falls, it's not likely to stay on the warm ground...) My friend Nick dubbed me a "snow snob" because of my derision towards the innocuous Austin snow... but I'd love to see some real, honest-to-goodness SNOW in this city some year -- you know, the kind that closes roads and shuts down the airport and forces everyone to stay home with cups of hot cocoa and blankets. Sigh... :)

Speaking of weather, it seems like we've had SO much rain the last few months. Which should translate into lots of bluebonnets this spring. That should be nice, anyway... I hate the seemingly never-ending rain, but at least we should get some great photo opportunities out of it...

We had a much-too-big lunch this afternoon, but since it's going on 7 o'clock, I should probably go heat up some soup or something. NOT looking forward to this week, but it's just five days and then I get another weekend... yay for weekends!!

Just five days... just five little days... 

No comments: