Sunday, April 15, 2012

Even MORE weekend randomness...

1. I obviously need to update my blog more. I have been such a slacker lately.

2. It is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. Rick and I actually just watched an episode of Supernatural a couple days ago in which an angel changes the timeline so the Titanic doesn't sink... mainly because he doesn't want to listen to "that horrible Celine Dion song" anymore. Ha! That made me laugh... :) I can still remember when the wreckage of the Titanic was discovered back in the 80s (which is weird, because I couldn't have been more than, like, oh, let's say, three years old) -- I thought it was so cool that someone had manged to find it after so long, and I pored over all the pictures and information I could find. I remember one particular picture of a ghostly, white, hollow-eyed doll head lying on the ocean floor... I found it immensely creepy... I don't think I slept for a week after that...

3. My mom's birthday is in a couple days, so we had a birthday dinner at mom and dad's condo last night. Mom always requests fajitas, which I'm happy to make, especially since for the most part, they're pretty simple to cook. Although a few years ago, I decided to try making my own homemade pico de gallo, and everyone loved it so much that I am now obligated to make it every time I make fajitas. And strangely, this is the most time-consuming part of the entire fajita process, just because of all the vegetable chopping. Yesterday's batch included thirteen tomatoes, two jalapenos, an onion, a few cloves of garlic, some lime juice and a sprinkling of cilantro. Plus a random habanero pepper just for the fun of it. After I made it, I had to take a shower... because I felt like I'd turned into a giant onion/jalapeno/garlic bulb... But it IS pretty tasty stuff. :)

4. It seems like Indiana Jones movies have been playing on TV constantly lately. I was just thinking yesterday, as I watched the Temple of Doom for the sixty-seventh time, how well these movies have stood up over the test of time. I mean, Raiders of the Lost Ark was made in 1981, but even 31 years later, it still looks good... and while digital special effects have pretty much taken over in movie-making, there's something to be said for the old-fashioned props and stop-motion effects of older movies. And you can NOT find a better movie-scorer than John Williams. (Don't get me wrong, there are some great movie-music guys out there -- Hans Zimmer and James Horner come to mind -- but John Williams is THE movie composer.) Thirty years from now, will we still watch something like Inception and think it's cool? Or Avatar? (Remember how cool it was to see the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park for the first time? But now it's like, "oh, yeah... CGI dinosaurs... yippee... can we move on to something else now?")

5. I broke down and, for some reason, joined Twitter the other day. Why did I do that?? If I ever actually use it, I'll have to put a link up on the blog...

6. I think that's it for now, since I need to go jump on the treadmill or toss around some kettlebells or do some other form of activity that will count as exercise... hope everyone is having a good weekend!

3 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Sorry I've been out of the blogging loop for a bit due to family commitments and am trying to catch up a bit now. Love all your new photos on your side bar and header.

Twitter and Facebook are not for me!

G. B. Miller said...

Ah, the beauty of being popular.

I've become so well known within my family for my deviled eggs that I still get asked to make them for every holiday.

'Course, my family seems to be oblivious that it takes me the better part of five hours to make these things, which is why I don't make them with any kind of dependable frequency anymore.

Lisa said...

No worries, Joe! I haven't been updating my blog as often as I'd like to, anyway. :) Twitter and Facebook are definitely not for everyone -- I'm not even 100 percent sure that they're for ME... I may give them up eventually. :)

G -- I suppose I should just be glad that I'm popular SOMEwhere. :) Luckily, I actually enjoy cooking (I really love baking, especially), so if someone has a request, I don't mind making it for them. But wow -- five hours for deviled eggs? I can understand why you wouldn't want to make those very often... :)