Thursday, February 01, 2007

Save the fish!

So last night Rick was questioning me about my hatred of fish. And by “hatred of fish” I mean as a food source, not fish in general. I love fish when they’re alive and swimming around. I love aquariums. One of my favorite places in Hawaii is the Maui Ocean Center, where you can walk through a giant plexiglass tube and watch all the fish swimming in the water around you. It’s quite fascinating, really. Much more fascinating than watching a limp, lifeless fish sit on a plate in the middle of some field greens, nestled amongst a smattering of capers, with a dish of remoulade on the side. Rick wondered if perhaps I should just force myself to eat fish, since fish apparently is one of those foods we’re all supposed to be eating more of. Because it’s “good” for us or something stupid like that. And maybe, Rick said, it’s an acquired taste that just takes some getting used to. “Like beer,” he mused. (I’m also not a big fan of beer, although I could probably acquire a taste for beer before I’d ever acquire a taste for fish.) We then had a conversation that went something like this:

Rick: So, what – does it actually make you nauseous to eat fish?

Me: Yes. Yes it does. Eating fish makes me want to throw up.

Rick: But why?

Me: Because! Because fish tastes like dead fish.

Rick (starting to laugh): Fish tastes like dead fish?

Me: Yes! Why would I want to eat a nasty dead fish?

Rick: Well what about steak? Does steak taste like a dead cow?

Me: No – steak tastes like steak.

Rick (after laughing for several seconds): Well then what does a dead cow taste like?

Me: I don’t know… but it doesn’t taste like steak.

And I stand by my original statement – that fish does, indeed, taste like dead fish. I don’t want the dead animals I eat to actually TASTE like dead animals. I mean, that’s just gross. I might as well be a vegetarian if that’s the case. Of course, I’d still have the problem of carrots tasting like dirt, and seeds tasting like… well, seeds don’t taste like anything, really. They’re just annoying.

And yes, today’s post IS rather short, in honor of the fact that today is February 1st, and February is the shortest month of the year. Or maybe I just don’t have much to write about.

Nah, I’m gonna go with the “February” excuse… :)

No comments: