Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Today is mom's birthday! She's really, really young. (I mean, she HAS to be, because I'm still so young...) Aunt Carol is here for a few days, so the three of us met Rick's mom at the Cheesecake Factory for lunch today. I decided to be "good" and just order soup and salad, so I would have plenty of room for the requisite cheesecake. What I didn't realize was that the Cheesecake Factory has a different idea of what a "lunch-sized portion" is than what my own idea would be. The menu described a "cup" of soup and a salad. But the "cup" was most definitely a bowl, and the salad was large enough for three people. Nevertheless, we all ordered dessert (and I ordered a "cup" of cappuccino, which also seemed to be served in a bowl...) and managed to eat most of our respective cheesecakes. Aunt Carol even stealthily mention to our server that today is mom's birthday, so she got a candle and a serenade. (I'm not sure she enjoyed that... :))

I was over at mom and dad's house this morning, and was looking through some of their pictures on the computer. I came across a few bluebonnet pictures -- and since I haven't managed to take any this year, I thought I would steal a couple of mom and dad's and put them on the blog. During the springtime, you can find patches of bluebonnets all over the city -- these were taken out in the country farther, I think, but there are plenty of bluebonnets along the interstate and major highways, too. When you see a field of them like this, it's quite common to see people stopped on the side of the road, herding their kids into the flowers to take pictures of them in the bluebonnets. The "kid in the bluebonnets" picture is quite a frequent Texas cliche... I wonder how many kids have been stung by bees in the bluebonnets...




No comments: