Friday, April 13, 2007

I have my horseshoe and four leaf clover ready...

There's a note on the Blogger home page about how I am now able to blog in Hindi... which is super, because I didn't even realize I KNEW Hindi... (but hey, how hard could it be? :))

So today was Friday the 13th – how did everyone fare? Any horrible bad luck? I took all the necessary precautions – I allowed a black cat to cross my path… walked under a ladder… opened an umbrella in my house… broke a few mirrors – you know, all the stuff you’re supposed to do to ward off bad luck. Wait – what? What’d you say? That’s supposed to BRING bad luck? Aw, darn…

Actually, the first bad luck of the day is starting right now – a thunderstorm is starting to roll through the city, and the downpour outside has managed to block the signal to my satellite TV. One of the drawbacks of satellite. Although it’s funny, because my satellite TV only cuts out during storms like this, but back when I had cable TV, it would cut out for absolutely no reason whatsoever. It would be clear and sunny and 75 degrees, and suddenly the cable would die. At least there’s always a logical explanation when the satellite signal disappears.

This morning, I had a sort of “Friday the 13th”-type moment when the power went out in my house for about two seconds. It wasn’t stormy yet, so I’m not sure why it happened. But that in itself wasn’t terribly creepy – the power just switched off for a few seconds, and then it came right back on, causing my phone to beep in annoyance and the microwave clock to flash “reset.” But a few minutes later, as I walked back toward my bedroom, I heard the chattering of voices. And when I walked into my bedroom, the television was on. Now, I’m sure this had something to do with the power outage – I guess when it came back on, the TV decided to reset itself or something. But it was still rather disconcerting – it was like a scene from Poltergeist. There was no one in the bedroom to turn on the television, and yet there it was, cheerily broadcasting to no one in particular. I switched it back off, and thankfully, it has managed to stay off…

Well, that storm wasn’t too bad. Certainly not bad enough for Rick to run into the living room and announce his intent to sequester the MDX in the garage. I guess I can’t blame him, though… after all, the first vehicle he ever purchased brand-new – a white Ford pickup truck with red pinstripes that he bought the day before he met me – was pummeled with softball-size hail not a year later. The windshield somehow escaped damage, but the rest of the truck was covered with random pockmarks. And Rick’s attempt to get the truck fixed were less-than-successful. The body shop managed to get rid of all the dents, but sloppily reapplied the red pinstripes (one side was straight, and the other side sloped downward) and stripped out the screws that held the fabric in place inside the truck. Rick would be driving along, and part of the cab’s ceiling would fall on his head. Rick, for those of you who don’t know him well, is not the most patient guy in the world. He’s also a bit of a perfectionist. So obviously the truck was deemed unacceptable, and it wasn’t long before a new truck called out to him…

Anyway, on a totally unrelated subject… my fantasy baseball offense is having its best night of the season so far, thanks to Carlos Lee of the Houston Astros. He hit three home runs tonight (one of them a grand slam), racked up 21 points for me, and I am now madly in love with him. Of course, by tomorrow, I may be gathering up his belongings, throwing them on the lawn, and telling him I never want to speak to him again. Fantasy baseball love is a fickle sort of love…

And since this has been a rather random post, here’s a random question – should I cut my bangs or let them grow out?


Hmmm… I think I’ll cut them…

No comments: