Saturday, September 01, 2007

Weekend random thoughts...

Check it out – I finally figured out how to add a picture to my profile… and it only took me, like, five thousand years. Or two years… something like that. Not the best picture when it’s squished down into that little box – the pixels are too pixely or something. (Yeah, I said pixely… it’s a word… sort of… kind of… maybe not…) Anyway, it looks better at full size, but I guess it’ll do for now. Maybe I can find a picture that works better…

So today we were out driving home from Best Buy, and we saw a carpet cleaning truck. Underneath the name of the company it advertised a “24-hour emergency” phone number. And I couldn’t help but wonder – what kind of horrible thing would you have to spill on your carpet to warrant an “emergency” call to a carpet cleaner at, say, 3 or 4 in the morning? I mean, what could possibly happen that would cause you to pick up the phone in a panic and demand, “I need my carpets cleaned NOW!” as opposed to mopping up whatever you could with a roll of paper towels and making a mental note to “call that carpet place first thing tomorrow”?? If you really need your carpets cleaned that badly, I think there might be something going on in your house that the rest of the public doesn’t want to know about… or possibly something the police DO want to know about…

Yankees lost to Tampa Bay tonight – I don’t know what it is about Tampa Bay, but that team could lose every other game of their season and STILL manage to beat the Yankees with some ridiculous score like 17 -1. Tonight it was only 9-1, but really – why do the Yankees have such a problem with this team? They just managed to sweep Boston and now they let TAMPA BAY walk all over them? That just doesn’t make any sense… oh well. Yankees are only 5 and half games behind Boston, and Boston is losing tonight (hopefully they won’t stage a last minute rally)… and Seattle lost, too, which is good, because they’re one game behind the Yankees in the wild card race. I’d just be happy to see the Yankees in the playoffs, no matter how they got there…

I keep hearing about this whole Owen Wilson suicide attempt thing… I’ve heard people derisively remarking that Owen Wilson had so much money and fame and a great job, etc – so why would he want to kill himself? It always amazes me that people still buy (no pun intended) into the myth that money makes everyone happy. Money can only buy temporary THINGS, and that’s it. And “things” can be nice and all, but no matter HOW nice they are, their appeal always wears off. Always. Which is why people who DO believe that money can buy happiness are constantly buying MORE things. Once you have your shiny, sparkly prize, it starts to look a bit more dull and tarnished… so out comes the credit card and another possession is acquired and maybe THIS one will be the one that brings true happiness – but of course it’s not. It never is. When I think about what in my life has made me TRULY happy, more often than not people and relationships are involved. Even when money is required – like for travel, which is one of the things I love most – it’s the people who are with me and the experience itself that bring happiness. So it doesn’t surprise me that someone who’s perceived to “have it all” might, in actuality, be extremely depressed. Money really CAN'T buy happiness…

So I’m sort of half-watching Snakes on a Plane on HBO, and it’s making me never want to fly again. I mean, not only is this plane completely overrun with poisonous snakes, but it’s flying through the worst turbulence ever. Actually, this would be a great in-flight movie… it would probably freak out all the passengers. I was flying somewhere once, and the in-flight movie was “Panic Room” – that movie with Jodie Foster about the guys who break into her house and she locks herself in her protected room – and at a particularly suspenseful part of the movie, the plane started flying through turbulence and I could see lightning from a storm in the distance. And instead of being really scary, it actually made the movie better – we were bouncing around and lightning was flashing outside and Jodie Foster was frantically running from the bad guys and I was like, “argh! She’s not gonna make it! Run, Jodie, run!” In fact, I think if I HADN’T been on a plane flying through turbulence when I watched that movie, I wouldn’t have liked it all that much…

Wow, tomorrow is already September 1st… which means school is back in… which means I can finally once again go to the mall during the week and not feel like I’ve stumbled into the middle of a school field trip to the Gap. Actually, I don’t go to the mall all that often… but when I do, I prefer it to be as uncrowded as possible…

I guess that’s about all the random stuff I’ve got right now. Hope everyone has good weekend. :)

No comments: