Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Yes, I'm talking about baseball... and cats...

Well, judging from Greg’s comment underneath that post a couple days ago, apparently my blog is really boring unless I’m talking about fantasy baseball. But he’s right – my own team didn’t do so well this year, and I am firmly entrenched in eighth place at the moment. So I’ll just have to talk about Greg’s fantasy baseball team. HIS team is great. Greg’s team is super special. All hail Greg and his super special fantasy baseball team. Actually, if it was REALLY great, he’d find a way to finish in first place instead of third… because why should Tim the Self-Perceived Doer of No Wrongs in Fantasy Baseball Land end up in first? So I’m rooting for you Greg – find a way to make up that 250 points between you and first place… c’mon, you can do it… :)

Of course, even more interesting than fantasy baseball right now is REAL baseball – the Yankees are finally starting to show their determination to make it to the postseason. Which I’m sure is thanks in no small part to the Yankee Voodoo that Eric and I seem to have perfected over the last few weeks. There’ve been a few close calls – Rivera loading the bases in the ninth inning, that sort of thing – but we’re trying to save up the really potent voodoo for the postseason games.

Speaking of the postseason (assuming the possibility that Boston will be there), did everyone hear about that kid in Boston who got Shelley Duncan’s autograph, but he and his mom got all bent out of shape about it because the autograph said, “Red Sox suck! – Shelley Duncan”? Oh come on – you actually go out and contact the media because a Yankee player wrote “Red Sox suck” before his autograph? If David Ortiz signed my notebook, and it said, “Yankees suck! – David Ortiz” I’d be like, “awesome! David Ortiz signed my notebook! And he has a sense of humor!” If this kid wants to be Red Sox fan for very long, he’d better get used to hearing things like that… it’s just part of the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry. If I had a nickel for every time I heard “Yankees suck”… well, I’d have a whole bunch of nickels… If your feelings are gonna be hurt by a silly “Red Sox suck” autograph, then maybe you’d better go be a Pittsburgh Pirates fan or something...

Actually, I have a theory about this whole autograph uproar – I don’ t think the kid was upset at all. His mom, maybe – but only because moms like to try to shield their kids from disrespectful language like “suck” (although if that’s the case, you’d better never attend another Red Sox/Yankees game… I’ve heard worse than that from the mouths of nuns and boy scouts…). No, I don’t think it was a matter of being “upset” about the autograph – I think this kid realized that he had something cool, and the more media attention it received, the more money he could get when he sold it on eBay…

Okay, that concludes the “baseball” portion of this post. I shall now move on to a subject that is much more boring – namely, cute and cuddly kittens. Allegro and Piva are getting along a bit better now, as is evidenced by this picture:


They still have occasional arguments, however – like the one they were having this morning at about 6:30. I think what usually happens is that Piva likes to hide under the black cupboard in the foyer, and when Allegro walks by, she’ll jump out. This does NOT make Allegro happy, and much hissing and spitting ensues. Piva will try to hiss back, but she’s still so small that it ends up sounding more like a little sigh… and it’s much too adorable to be intimidating in any way. And really, how could you EVER be intimidated by this face?

No comments: