Saturday, September 08, 2007

I have nothing to say...

Slow week… I guess I didn’t have much to write about. And the same goes for today – so here are my Saturday random thoughts:

Well, we have now left the house several times while Piva was out of her room, trusting that Allegro won’t eat her in our absence. And so far, everyone has been in one piece when we return home. I think Allegro is starting to understand that this new creature is here to stay, so she is beginning to tolerate her slightly, while still proclaiming her superiority whenever Piva ventures too close. But right now at this moment, Allegro is sleeping peacefully in her favorite place on the couch, and Piva is in the foyer batting around a little fabric mouse with a bell on its tail… (And Echo, as usual, can’t hear a thing, so it’s all good…)

Speaking of Piva, she has an annoying little habit of walking across the computer keyboard when I’m trying to use it. Which means I’ll be typing along quite nicely, and then suddenly she’ll hit the precise combination of keys to cause everything I’ve typed to disappear… or five random windows will pop up… or the Quicktime player will start running… or I’ll simply end up with a word like, “owyeoirh9—uje” at the end of my sentence…

Eric and I have been honing our Yankee voodoo this week, preparing it for possible postseason necessity. It’s actually been eerily on target this week – it began with a game a few days ago when our pitcher walked two batters in a row with nobody out. I sent a hasty Yankee Voodoo text message to Eric, and was immediately rewarded with a pop out and a double play, so the opposing team never had a chance to score. The same sort of situation seemed to be panning out in the next inning, so again I sent my voodoo message… and once again the Yankees managed to work their way out of a sticky inning. I then realized that what we really needed was OFFENSE voodoo – so I sent my voodoo text message. And the Yankees scored TEN runs within the next two innings. The next day, I was a bit late with my voodoo messages, so the Yankees were losing 2-1 as they went into the seventh inning. So I sent Eric some Yankee voodoo, and WHAM – eight runs in the seventh inning. And yesterday my voodoo messages were rather sporadic, thanks to eating dinner at Rick’s parents’ house and me leaving my phone in the living room. But I managed to send enough voodoo to ensure a 3-2 Yankee victory. I only have about a half hour before they play again… I’d better get my cell phone ready… (Eric?? Get the voodoo dolls and pins!)

Has everyone heard of that Burning Man festival in Nevada? It’s like this big gathering of people who fancy themselves artists (I’m sure some of them are… and I’m sure some of them are just people who do things like throw cans of paint at a pile of garbage cans while hula hooping in Marie Antoinette costumes, in an obvious display of anarchic, anti-government, George W. Bush-is-a-moron-and-should-be-impeached, we’re-serious-artists-and-you-just-don’t-get-it-man displays of “artistic expression.”) The whole thing culminates in the conflagration of a giant wooden man, which, I suppose is also some kind of “artistic expression.” Well, this year, some guy decided to set fire to the giant man a few days early – and he was arrested for it. Now, let me make sure I understand this correctly – a guy set fire to the guy who’s supposed to be set on fire, only it wasn’t the right time for the guy to be set on fire, so the fire-setting guy was arrested… right? Um, huh?? If the giant man is supposed to burn anyway, and his burning is an artistic expression, then who’s to say that burning the man a few days early isn’t ALSO an artistic expression? I mean, if the whole festival is about anything goes, breaking all the rules, expressing yourself, then how can there be any justification for arresting the Burning Man Early Burner? Just seems a little nonsensical to me… (but then again, I’ve always hated fire…)

Well, the UT game and the Yankee game are about to start, so I’m off to send voodoo…

No comments: