Thursday, February 21, 2008

Moving on...

So before the whole “we might be moving to Chicago” thing started, we’d decided to have a new house built in another part of the neighborhood. But halfway through the building process, several promising Chicago opportunities popped up, and we decided we’d rather pursue a path to Chicago than a path to a new house across the street. When we told the house builders that we wouldn’t be purchasing the house, they got all horrible-house-market-panicky and continually offered us incentives to buy the house. At first, it was easy to ignore their siren-calls, since we were focused on Chicago. But then Dell started to uh, let’s say “restructure” itself, which has resulted in a significant delay on any Chicago hiring decisions. So we finally gave in to the house-builders, and decided to buy the house at a ridiculously lowered price… they even threw in a couple ceiling fans and some crown molding we didn’t ask for. So tomorrow morning, we will be the owners of TWO houses… Yeah, we THOUGHT we had buyers for this house, but they decided yesterday to go with another house… sigh… (Well, at least we don’t have to rush to get our things moved over to the new house…)

And it’s good that we’re moving into a new house, because I’ve never lived in one house for more than seven years. I have a slight fear that if I ever stay in one place longer than seven years, the house that I’m inhabiting will turn into a pumpkin. Or worse, I’ll turn into a pumpkin. We’re going on six years in this house, so we couldn’t stay here much longer, anyway. You know, just in case…

Here’s the progression – I lived in our first house in Buffalo, New York until I was seven years old. We then moved a few streets over to a larger, upgraded house (not unlike what I’ll be doing this coming week…), and I lived there until I was nine. And then we moved to Texas… we lived in our house in Austin until just before I turned twelve, and then we moved a bit farther north to Georgetown, where we lived for one year. Then we moved to New Jersey, where I got about as “settled” as I would ever be – I didn’t move out of that house with the uneven floors (hey, it added character) for seven years…

Then it was an apartment for about a year with my mentally-unstable roommate, Lori. Then an apartment on my own for another six months or so, until I got married and Rick moved in… we moved to a different apartment soon after, and couldn’t have been there more than a year and a half before we bought our first house in Cedar Park. We lived in Cedar Park for about five or six years, and in 2000 we moved to New Jersey. We lived in a GREAT house in New Jersey for two years (I think it’s still my favorite of all the places I’ve lived… and Eric and Debbie have added all kinds of improvements since they bought it, so it’s even better now…), and then we ended up in this house. So you can see that it’s obviously time for me to move on, right?

And speaking of the new house, we need to head over there to meet the blind lady… uh, I mean, the lady who’ll be measuring our windows for blinds…

No comments: