Sunday, February 10, 2008

Winter was nice while it lasted...

We’re back in Austin now… we arrived yesterday to 76-degree weather. I’d dressed rather warmly when we left Tulsa yesterday morning, as it was only about 40 degrees. I should’ve known I’d be roasting in the car by the time we hit the Texas border. Eric sent me a text message this morning to inform me of the temperature in Chicago – negative two. Sigh… and here I am in Texas, where I probably won’t need to wear my wool coat, scarf, and gloves for another ten or twelve months… if then, even…

I have to say I LOVED the weather when we were up there in Chicago. And we never even saw the sun the entire time we were there. Usually the absence of the sun is very depressing to me… when the sun disappears here in Austin it’s always clouds, clouds, clouds, with occasional dreary rain. You walk outside and feel sort of oppressed – like all those clouds with their heavy rain are pressing down on your shoulders, and they only lift away when the sun breaks through to dissipate them. But in Chicago, when you step outside and that first blast of frigid air hits your face, you can’t help but discover a hidden energy and determination to scurry down the sidewalk, anxiously anticipating a warm environment – perhaps a warm environment where hot chocolate or coffee and a fuzzy blanket are awaiting. And when you finally reach your destination, and realize you’ve survived the sub-zero temperatures and your nose has NOT fallen off, you can’t help but feel a sense of accomplishment and triumph. (Yes! I have made it through the snow and have earned a delicious cup of hot cocoa! I rule!)

One thing we discovered on our last day in Chicago – the middle of winter is the PERFECT time to visit Ghirardelli. (And yes, ice cream at Ghirardelli is a far cry from a nice cup of hot cocoa – but it’s soooooo worth the shivering…) Ghirardelli was only about a block and a half away from our hotel, so we walked over on Thursday night. And I was surprised (and quite happy) to see that the place was practically deserted. Every single time I’ve been there in the past (which has always either been in the spring/summer or on a weekend) the store has been packed. We’ve always had to stand in a long line to order, and then search around for a table in the much-too-small dining area. Often, this has resulted in four or five of us cramming around a tiny two-person-occupancy table, and carefully balancing ice cream sundaes on the edge of its marble surface. But on Thursday night, there was no line to order and only a handful of patrons were lingering around tables. The entire time we were there, only two more people arrived to eat ice cream in the store. If I’d known it would be so deserted, I think I would’ve walked down there EVERY night we were in Chicago. I must remember this for future reference…

And now I should go make sure to unpack my boots and scarf and hat, because I just noticed it’s about 74 degrees outside… better bundle up…

No comments: