Monday, February 25, 2008

Sometimes it feels like three stories...

It’s been a very busy few days… we’ve been moving as much as possible on our own before the movers come to handle the heavy things, so we’ve been packing boxes and shuttling between this house and the new house. And, I should mention, the new house is two stories – which means many of those boxes have been destined for the second floor. Rick has been trying to get his study (on the second floor) set up, and I’ve carried many a box full of books, CDs, and random computer paraphernalia up the stairs. And it’s funny how much heavier books, CDs, and computer paraphernalia become as each step is climbed…

And I work out pretty regularly – I walk and jog on an incline, lift weights, do Taebo… but over the last few days, it’s become very, very apparent that I have NEVER tried a Stairmaster. I’ve been struggling up the staircase with fully-loaded cardboard boxes, praying my fingers don’t slip right off the corners and send the box (and possibly me) tumbling down the stairs. And all I can think about is how last week I thought I was in pretty good shape… but this week I’m not so sure. (I will NOT let the stairs defeat me! If I have a house with stairs, I shall traverse them, up and down, until they are nothing to me but another architectural detail…)

Happily, we finally have keys that match up with our locks. We spent the weekend moving everything through the garage door, since that was the only door we could actually open and close with the assurance that it was secure. But a locksmith was dispatched to our house this morning, to rescue us from our useless keys. (I always wonder, though – what’s to keep a locksmith from keeping a set of keys for himself? How do I know I can really trust this guy who changed all our locks? Now I’m gonna be thinking about that the whole time I’m living in the new house…)

On Wednesday we’re having some furniture delivered, including a new bed – so we’ll be able to officially move in and stay at the house. Actually, that’s not entirely true – we’re having a new MATTRESS delivered, but the bed is on backorder for a couple weeks. So we get to camp out on the mattress for a while. Rick seemed rather dismayed when we were told the bed wouldn’t be delivered immediately, but I decided to just take things in stride… I mean, so we have to sleep on a mattress on the floor for a few weeks – no big deal. It’s the same mattress… the only difference is that it’ll be propped up off the floor once the bed arrives. It’s kinda like a picture in a frame – the picture is the same whether it’s in or out of the frame… it just looks more “put-together” when it’s framed.

And for some reason, Rick chose THIS particular week to get sick. He has a cold, or maybe a mild case of the flu, complete with low-grade fever and sore throat. I’m hoping I don’t end up with the same affliction, but lately my super-immunity has been letting me down. I guess we’ll see… in the meantime, I’ll just keep lugging boxes up the stairs…

No comments: