Thursday, June 12, 2008

I'm more of an explorer, myself...

So I was reading my Shape magazine this afternoon – I subscribe to Shape and Fitness. And although most of the pages are devoted to workout tips and healthy recipes and “I used to weigh 500 pounds and now weigh 120!” success stories, there are always a few pages toward the back that showcase whatever is “trendy” in fashion. (Because once you’ve lost all that weight, you’ll obviously have to buy new clothes.) And I don’t normally pay much attention to those few pages, with their photos of vacant-eyed models in layers of designer clothing. But as I was flipping pages today, a skirt caught my eye and I stopped at the photo to read about it. It was a Pretentious Fashion Designer Somebody or Other skirt, with a price tag of $875.00.

WHAT???

Ah, yes… now I remember why I never bother looking at those fashion pages all that closely. When would I EVER waste 875 dollars on a single piece of clothing? And it’s a skirt – just a skirt. That’s not even an entire outfit. Is it some kind of SPECIAL skirt? Does it do tricks? Does it transform from a skirt into something else? Is it a Transformer skirt? I mean, a Transformer skirt might be kinda cool… MAYBE I’d spend 875 dollars on a Transformer skirt… you know, if it went from a skirt to, like, a Porsche or something…

Such a contrast, our world of 875 dollar skirts, to the world of that lost tribe in the Amazon jungle. I was thinking the other day about how strange that seems – how these people have lived in the middle of nowhere for generations, knowing nothing of technology or packaged frozen food or mass transportation or the need for money to buy ridiculously expensive skirts. Even the word “expensive” would have no meaning in their universe. And how weird that the world around them expanded and morphed and evolved and progressed – all unbeknownst to the simple tribe in the Amazon. They just went on with their daily lives, apparently never imagining anything beyond their sequestered borders. Did any of them ever TRY to go exploring? Why are some people imbued with an innate desire to discover, while others are quite content to remain stationary? If anyone from any of the “undiscovered” tribes around the world would get a little curious, it would only be a matter of time before they hit civilization.

Of course, I can only imagine what the people in that tribe were thinking when a helicopter appeared overhead their village – how terrifying would THAT be if you’d never seen anything even remotely industrial? It’s almost like a real-life example of time travel – it’s like a movie where someone from the future shows up in the past with a fascinating piece of future equipment. Would we ever be able to communicate and explain our “future” world to the tribe of the “past”?

I wouldn’t bother trying to explain those 875 dollar skirts, though. There’s really NO explanation for that…

No comments: