Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween random thoughts...

Happy Halloween everyone! It’s time for my annual Halloween tradition, which consists of turning off my house lights and sneaking off to a location far away from trick-or-treaters. Tonight, that location is Rick’s parents’ house. And although they do live in a neighborhood with lots of safe, kid-friendly streets and plenty of orange-and-black-bedecked houses, they happen to be on the “outskirts” of said neighborhood. Which means their trick-or-treat traffic (hey, nice alliteration… :)) is significantly less insistent than at many of the other houses.

Not that I can blame kids for wanting to forage for free foodstuffs (apparently I’m in some sort of alliterative mood right now…). I just don’t happen to HAVE any candy in my house right now… or any other time, for that matter. And the one year we decided to keep some candy on hand (back when we lived in New Jersey, on a street relatively isolated from other neighborhoods) we significantly underestimated the amount we would need. We hadn’t counted on kids being chauffeured from other neighborhoods in minivan caravans. We finally had to turn the lights off once again and hide from the doorbell…

Rick is on his way back from Chicago, with… Tootsie Rolls! The hotel finally restocked their candy dishes with something other than Starburst. And I didn’t even have to don a costume and knock on doors to get my candy fix…

Speaking of Starbucks (as I was yesterday), my friendly neighborhood Starbucks is advertising the impending arrival of its holiday drinks. I just love the holiday drinks at Starbucks – peppermint mochas, gingerbread lattes, hot chocolate… yum. It’s just hard to find a balance between enjoying a good cup of calorie-laden coffee now and then, and managing to NOT gain weight between Thanksgiving and New Year’s… But still, I can’t wait for those red and white holiday-themed cups Starbucks always stocks up on during this time of year. Like my mom said yesterday – it doesn’t take much to make me happy. :)

Happy trick-or-treating!

No comments: