Friday, October 24, 2008

Speaking of politics...

Ugh... I hate politics... I really do. People always get so emotional about things... and then they get mad... and then they argue... and nobody ever changes their mind about anything, no matter how much reason or logic is thrown their way. Because someone else will always counter it with reason and logic of their OWN. Which, basically, is why nothing ever really gets done in Washington D.C. So until people start realizing we all have pretty common goals and should try to find a way to work together towards them, nothing much will change. Because instead, we seem to always just have one side trying to prove the other side wrong, and vice versa. Sigh... no wonder this country is so polarized and frustrated right now...

However, that being said, I found this essay to be SO good that I had to post a link to it. It asks a lot of questions that we SHOULD be asking, but no one seems to be asking... this entire presidental campaigning season has had me scratching my head in confusion so many times...

But this is it... no more politics for a while... I shall now resume my happy-go-lucky regular postings... :)

6 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

You are right, the polarization is frustrating..

I don't have time right now to read that whole article you linked, probably will Sunday. Sunday - wonderful Sunday! After the school Halloween Carnival is all over - yay (volunteering on the Haunted House.) Sorry, TMI.

you've probably already read this but I love it...

"You cannot bring prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
You cannot further brotherhood of men by inciting class hatred.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves."

- Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (1916)

Pretty dang-good advice methinks in picking a candidate.

have a lovely Austin day.

Lisa said...

What a great quote -- I've actually never seen that before. It certainly makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

Hope you have fun at the Halloween Carnival! At least this Texas weather is finally feeling more "October-y." :)

Jannie Funster said...

Great to "meet" you too!

She was actually 6 when I took that pic, about 6 mos ago. She does look young in it, tho.

Do you miss the N. East lately?

Jannie Funster said...

Oh you mean the 1 to 1000 question answer is 2. Duh, jannie

Thought you were guessing her age was 2.
Ha!

Lisa said...

Haha! :) Yes, I thought I would guess a nice, simple number as opposed to one of those more complicated numbers toward the higher end of the "1 to 1000" spectrum...

I DO miss the northeast this time of year -- especially when the holidays start approaching. It always seems weird to start my Christmas shopping when it's balmy and mild and 75 degrees! :)

Jack said...

Lisa,

Found you from Jannie's blog.

I have also put aside my comments on politics. I have decided that minds are made up, the country is equally split, and both halves are continuing to lob (figurative) grenades at each other.

It's been going on for sixteen years straight. Thanks to Bubba and the Devil With the Blue Dress On (thank you Mitch Ryder) and to those warped individuals who think atomizing themselves will grant them 72 virgins instead of a place on the Outer Ring of the Seventh Circle of Hell. I don't see much chance of it abating for another eight or so.

My little blog stands little chance of making a difference, so I'm cooling it for a while.

Gee. I liked this little diatribe enough that I'm going to put it on my blog also.

BTW, the analysis on the meltdown you linked to was very well done.