Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Quick post...

Obviously I need to get writing if I'm hoping to hit my "8 posts in one month" goal... I'm such a blog slacker...

So it was about 68 degrees this morning when I left for work, which is ALMOST cool enough to convince me that tomorrow is the first day of autumn. It's funny -- when I was a kid, I definitely would've said summer was my favorite season. (I suppose EVERY kid's favorite season is summer, though. How can you not love having three whole months to sleep in, hang out with friends and forget about responsibilities??) But now, I think I actually like fall/winter more (down here they kind of meld together into one season... finter... or wall...). The oppressively hot days are finally over, television starts to get interesting again after months of reruns (although I have to admit -- I hate the end of baseball season... :)), and, perhaps most importantly, Starbucks begins rolling out its seasonal drinks -- first pumpkin lattes and cinnamon-laced ciders, and then, after an entire spring, summer and fall of waiting, the WINTER drinks. (Oh, peppermint mocha, how I love thee!!) Served, of course, in festive holiday-themed paper cups... even cappuccino tastes better when it's in a festive holiday-themed paper cup...

The danger with all these cooler-weather-inspired seasonal ingredients is that they put all sorts of baking and food ideas in my head. I'd stay in my kitchen baking frosted sugar cookies all winter if I could... but then I would emerge from my kitchen some time in the spring, looking very much like a polar bear waking from hibernation: covered in white powdered sugar and weighing 300 pounds.

No, as always, I shall do my best to attempt indulgence in moderation. I mean, it certainly wouldn't be any fun to let finter/wall pass without so much as a sip of a gingerbread latte, or a few cookies here or there. But hopefully I can balance that out with some healthy food choices and sticking with my workouts...

SOME of us, however, don't worry about what we eat... we just jump right in:

By the way, the freezer is on the bottom -- so he JUMPED up into the fridge. He's been thinking about it for weeks now, stretching as faaaaaaaar as he can, and meowing pitifully every time I open the door. And he finally went for it... I guess he doesn't care about the cold air...

And of course once you're finished eating, you want to wash it all down with some bottled water:

Ah, cats are fun... :)

No comments: