Monday, June 04, 2007

Battle of the bugs...

So yesterday I played two pitchers on my fantasy team. I took a chance and played Andy Pettitte – which, although the Yankees did manage to win last night (great game, by the way), was a move that rewarded me with three whole points. Wooooohoo. I wasn’t planning on playing another pitcher, until Rick said to me, “you know, Dontrelle Willis usually does really well in June,” and then proceeded to show me stats from the last few years. Hmmmm… Dontrelle Willis DOES usually pitch well in June. So, since I’m a few games behind in pitching anyway, I tossed him in, too. Willis ended his game with NEGATIVE three points. So, when we add it all up, that gave Lisa a grand total of zero pitching points yesterday. This was just another example of Rick’s obvious attempts to sabotage my fantasy team this year… it is SO not gonna work… I mean, you know, it’s not gonna work AGAIN…

Well, Paris Hilton is finally in jail, and already the world feels like a safer place. Okay… maybe she’s not exactly a menace to society – but she IS quite annoying. And I’m tired of these useless party girls running around doing whatever they feel like doing, assuming they can get away with anything just because they’re rich and wear low-cut dresses. Really, it’s about TIME one of them got thrown in jail. (Why isn’t Lindsay Lohan in jail yet??) Seriously – can someone explain to me WHY Paris Hilton is even famous? Why is her picture splashed all over magazines and why is her name constantly in the news? What is it that she DOES, exactly? I’m not even usually all that impressed with Hilton hotels…

Anyway… so I’ve been having a bit of a bug problem around one of the windowsills in the kitchen. I noticed a couple little tiny black bugs crawling around by the window a few days ago, so I smushed them with a paper towel and thought nothing more about it. Until I noticed a couple more. And then a couple more. Eventually, after smushing several of these tiny things, I realized they were traveling in a little bug caravan along the window. Well, that was it. It was time to get serious. I brought out a can of Raid and sprayed along the entire perimeter of the window. I don’t like to spray insecticide in the kitchen… but then again, I really don’t like bugs in the kitchen, either…

So, assuming the Raid would take care of any straggling tiny intruders, I went about my daily business and forgot about the bugs. Until I happened to notice, later that day, another little black speck determinedly soldiering on across the great expanse of windowsill. What? How did it survive the Raid attack? Okay, fine. I sprayed another cloud of Raid around the window, thankful that I never leave food laying out. Surely THIS time the bug killer would take care of those tiny little things. Hours later, however, I was once again proven wrong. It was as if these things – so infinitesimal and easily squishable – were somehow impervious to the poisonous effects of Raid. So I put away the Raid and brought out a can of Hot Shot – maybe a brand change was in order. I’m pretty certain whatever they put in their insecticide is exactly the same – but it made me feel as if I were taking a proactive stance against these tiny creatures…

I have now been spraying the windowsill with Hot Shot for about two days, with generally the same results. Although so far today, I haven’t seen any little bugs yet. I am cautiously optimistic about their eradication, although I won’t be surprised if I see another one running along the windowsill, holding a tiny little “nice try, pathetic human” sign. I seem to remember having the same sort of problem LAST year at about this time, so I’m hoping these are just weird little seasonal bugs… sort of like tiny “welcome summer!” bugs.

Or maybe I should just call them annoying little pain in the neck bugs…

No comments: