Friday, June 22, 2007

Friday randomness...

Nothing very coherent to talk about today, so I’ll just make it a “random thought” kinda post:

We have four or five baby phoebes in the nest on the back porch – it’s a full house in there. When they get bigger, they’ll be all feathery puffs spilling out of the nest, pushing each other aside for premium room. It’s always interesting to watch them up there – especially when Mom Bird flies back with food, and a chorus of yellow beaks chirps with impatience. She can usually only feed one at a time, so she’s constantly flying back and forth between the nest and the bug-infested (or food-infested, depending on your point of view) world…

Down at mom and dad’s house, on the other hand, they have little creatures of another sort – four stray kittens, the offspring of the stray black cat that has taken up residence in the backyard this past year. They’re cute little kittens… but at this rate, that backyard will be overrun with felines in another six months or so… there’ll be lions and tigers and pumas and cheetahs… it’ll never end…

So I just heard about a tour that people can take to visit sites from “The Sopranos.” For 45 dollars, you get a tour that starts in midtown Manhattan, heads through the Lincoln Tunnel, and wanders over into Jersey. Plus a cannoli. This is the first time I’ve ever heard of a tour that STARTS in Manhattan and ENDS in Jersey. Most people do just the opposite. And hey, for 45 dollars, I’ll give you TWO cannoli, and drive you past the myriad of diners New Jersey has to offer. I can even show you this one field near the Jersey Gardens Mall where I’m certain people have gotten “whacked” on a regular basis…

Rick and I saw Ocean’s Thirteen last weekend – I really liked it. I think I’ve actually liked each subsequent “Ocean’s” movie more than its predecessor. So this was probably my favorite of the three. Most people probably like the first one best, but I think by the second and third installments, there was a better sense of camaraderie between the ensemble cast. The only complaint I had about the third one was that it was a bit predictable at this point – by now we know that the gang will be able to pull off their heist, no matter how complicated, even when others try to thwart their efforts. So it was no surprise when they succeeded. But I loved the movie anyway…

My fantasy baseball team is cursed. Somewhere along the line, I think Eric’s Yankee voodoo morphed into a fantasy baseball curse, which he accidentally aimed in my direction. At least I THINK it was an accident…

Speaking of Eric, Rick and I have decided that if we move to Chicago, we’ll be living with Eric for about a year or so. Just until we find a suitable condo for ourselves. Shouldn’t be a big deal – Eric has a guest bedroom now. I’ve already told him that I expect a large flat-screen HD television in the room…

And speaking of baseball, how did the Yankees allow themselves to be swept by Colorado? I mean, c’mon – Colorado?? I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were all suffering from altitude sickness. I’d say they were practically guaranteed to win their game against San Francisco tonight, except they’re going up against my pitcher Matt Cain – and since I won’t be playing Cain against the Yankees (and my fantasy team, as mentioned before, is cursed), I’ll have to assume he’s going to throw a complete game shutout so the dozens of points I COULD have had will remain useless on my bench. I love baseball. :)

I guess that’s all I’ve got right now… hope everyone has a good weekend…

No comments: