Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Rainy, cloudy, blah...

Ugh… today is one of those gray, dreary, rainy, cloudy, dark days that makes you want to crawl under the nearest blanket and hibernate until the sun returns. I’m half-watching the White Sox/Marlins game right now, because I picked up the White Sox pitcher last night. Jon Garland. He seems to be doing okay so far (but now that I’ve said it, I’ve jinxed the whole thing… next inning he’ll be giving up five runs… just watch). It’s funny how big a part superstition plays in baseball – even when you’re not the one actually PLAYING…

I notice from watching the game that it’s nice and sunny up there in Chicago. We’re planning a trip up in a couple weeks to check out Eric’s new condo. It’ll be great to get away from this dreary Texas weather. :) I can only assume that all the rain we’ve had this past year is a direct result of global warming. Right? I’ve gotten a little tired of all the doom and gloom global warming talk. What I don’t understand is – global warming or not – why would anyone believe that this particular planet we have now is the absolute “perfect” planet, and it’s vital that we strive our best to “freeze” everything exactly as it is? I keep hearing about glaciers melting, or coastlines changing, or land eroding, and all I can think is, “uh, SO?” Have we forgotten that this planet has drastically changed throughout its existence, even when there were no human beings to, apparently, screw things up? Of COURSE our climate is going to change… of COURSE the topography of this world will be different in a hundred years than it is now. That would all happen whether or not human beings were riding around in their gas-guzzling SUVs.

That’s not to say that I’m not all for recycling and conserving energy and finding cleaner, more efficient fuel sources. I just don’t understand why so many people seem determined to maintain the planet in its present state forever. No matter WHAT we do, that won’t ever be possible. Piddly little humans are not capable of preventing the earth from continuing to do what it’s done for eons and eons. And who’s to say it wouldn’t ultimately be a GOOD thing for the planet to be a little warmer? Retirees could settle down in sunny Seattle instead of Florida… the frozen tundra of Siberia would be converted to a giant farm to help feed the world… people would collect the melting glacier water, call it “Global Warming Juice” and charge five dollars a bottle. Humans have always had an amazing ability to adapt to their surroundings. I’m just sayin’… maybe the negativity isn’t as necessary as we think it is…

Well, my pitcher didn’t do such a horrible job. Unfortunately, the Sox were only up 2-1 when he left the game, and the Marlins had two people on base. The new Sox pitcher promptly allowed a home run, and just like that, my pitcher was handed a loss. (Unless the White Sox manage to win in the ninth inning, in which case it’ll be a less-annoying-but-still-not-ideal no-decision.) Sigh… oh well…

It’s funny how the White Sox announcers make no attempt whatsoever to remain impartial when they’re calling the game. I’ve gotten so used to the Yankee announcers, who, for the most part, seem to sound equally excited no matter which team is playing well. If the Yankees hit a home run, they make it sound like a significant event – but they do the same if the opposing team scores, as well. It’s like they DO understand that their broadcast may be seen or heard by people other than Yankee fans. But many other team announcers sound downright peeved when the opposing team is playing well – one of these White Sox announcers actually yelled “dadgumit!” when a Marlins player made a great catch at the end of the eighth inning. I’ve heard XM radio broadcasts where the announcers barely make mention of home runs, if those home runs don’t benefit their own team. I’m not being biased or anything, but Yankee announcers really ARE the best in baseball (okay, maybe I’m being a little biased… but just a little). :)

Well, yes, the White Sox lost… but I shall be happy with my 16 pitching points, because 16 points is pretty decent for a loss. I mean, it’s no 80-point no-hitter, of course... but whatever…

No comments: