Friday, March 28, 2008

Run, bunny! Run to freedom!

So last night we ate dinner with Rick's parents, and Rick's mom gave us a couple Dove chocolate bunnies as a belated Easter treat. SOLID dark chocolate bunnies, by the way -- when I was kid, they always sold those hollow chocolate bunnies. They were so deceptive... you'd find yourself in possession of a beautiful giant chocolate bunny -- the sight of which was enough to bring on sugary jitters and mouth-watering anticipation -- and that first blissful bite would be interrupted by a cavernous air pocket, mere millimeters beyond the chocolate shell. (What the-- ?? Hey! Where's the rest of my chocolate???) So what you imagined would provide you with chocolate happiness for weeks to come would, instead, be completely devoured within an hour or two... Chocolate-covered air, that's what those were...

Anyway, as I was saying, we now have a couple delectable dark chocolate bunnies. And I couldn't help but sample a bit of one after we returned home last night. I am a bit disturbed, however, by the image I am left with now that part of my bunny is gone:

Bunny before...

Bunny after...


Should I be concerned by the fact that I went straight for the head? Or is this, in fact, the way most people eat chocolate bunnies? It does seem rather logical -- I mean, the ears are the smallest part, and therefore easy to bite into. It would be harder, for instance, to chomp on a leg right off the bat... Of course, this being SOLID chocolate, and not that air-filled confection of my youth, it's more difficult to simply take a bite of ANY part of the bunny. I actually had to chop the poor thing's head off with a kitchen knife -- now, don't tell me THAT'S not disturbing...

Perhaps someone needs to start manufacturing Easter chocolate in a form that conjures up fewer "adorably fluffy" reminiscences. Like flowers, or trees, or rainbows, or other suitably "springy" symbols.

But in the meantime, I'm just going to be happy that someone finally realized chocolate-covered CHOCOLATE is way better than chocolate-covered air...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um...just checking on the bunny...he okay?

Lisa said...

The bunny is, uh, slightly smaller than when I last posted... there's been a bit of bunny downsizing... but have no fear -- he is still quite chocolatey and yummy. (That's what you were asking, right?) :)