Thursday, April 17, 2008

Ugh...

I knew I was in trouble last night as I listened to the Cleveland Indians game on XM radio and heard one of the announcers say something like this:

First Announcer: Hey Fellow Announcer, do you feel like we’re seeing a turning point here with Sabathia? His pitching just seems different tonight… he’s definitely doing a better job than his last outing.

Fellow Announcer: Yes, I agree.

And somewhere in my head, a crazy dam broke and a flood of “noooooooooooooooo!” poured out. I was running toward the Cleveland Indians announcer booth, arms waving wildly, searching for a plug to pull or a microphone to smash so the broadcast would be nothing but dead air… anything to stop those jinxing words from finding their mark – the mark, of course, being my win-wanting pitcher, C.C. Sabathia.

As soon as those words escaped the undiscerning mouths of the radio announcers, Sabathia allowed a hit and a run scored. And of course that couldn’t be the end of it… no, once again he managed to accrue a pitiful NINE earned runs.

What to do… what to do… I’m still hesitant to trade the guy, even if he HAS smashed all my hopes and dreams on the bats of opposing teams’ players. I guess for now, I’ll just stick him on the bench and wait and hope for a 180 degree turnaround. C.C. Sabathia? Ha! Try Sissy Sasuckia…

As a consolation, Rick and I walked up to the Walgreens on the corner and bought some Sissy Sasuckia Ice Cream. Blue Bell had a new flavor I’d never seen called “Mooo Tracks” or something like that. Vanilla ice cream with chocolate swirls and little peanut butter cups. It was pretty good, for regular old ice cream. Of course, Rick and I think differently about ice cream – when I want consolation ice cream, I’m thinking of something along the lines of Ben and Jerry’s… or possibly Haagen Dazs. You know, the really, really BAD stuff that tastes wickedly decadent and makes you feel immensely guilty as soon as the bowl is empty. I also like to try all the new flavors Ben and Jerry’s dreams up, with all the swirly stuff and bits of chocolate or caramel or marshmallow mixed in. Rick, on the other hand, is more of a chocolate chip guy. Plain vanilla, some chocolate chips, that’s it, he’s happy. Ice cream purchases generally take a bit of negotiation on my part, otherwise we’d always wind up with chocolate chip. I guess the “Mooo Tracks” ice cream was a compromise – not quite chocolate chip, but definitely not as interesting as the Ben and Jerry’s pint I had my eye on… (I believe it was called “Whirled Peace.” Peace on earth never looked so delicious…)

Anyway… Sabathia needs to get his act together, because I can’t keep eating cookies or ice cream every time he has a bad game. He can’t possibly be this bad all season… right???

5 comments:

Tim Waters said...

I feel your pain....

Lisa said...

Thanks... and you'd better watch out, because I'm planning a ninth-place takeover. Yeah, that's right -- ninth place is MINE! (I like to aim high... :))

Tim Waters said...

Give you Edwin Jackson for CC Sabathia... :)

Anonymous said...

moooooooooo!!! the sound cc sabathia is making right now. he is eating the suck cookies!!

nj housecat09

Lisa said...

I'm not surprised Sabathia is mooing... the guy is awfully big... maybe if he lost a few pounds, he'd be a better pitcher... (Oh wait -- I'll bet HE eats cookies and ice cream every time he pitches badly, too! It all makes sense now... :))