Friday, January 29, 2010

I'm crazy...

I knocked out another early morning workout today. Yesterday, too. I took Wednesday off, because I really tried to push myself on Monday and Tuesday and my hamstrings were starting to give me a hard time about that. But I realized something when I "slept in" until 5:30 on Wednesday -- I actually MISSED my super-early morning workout. Yes, that's right -- I MISSED flopping out of bed at 4:40 in the morning and stumbling blindly toward (what I always hope is) the bathroom... and I missed awkwardly pulling on my workout clothes with one eye still stubbornly shut (because it's absolutely refusing to believe that I could really want it open at such an hour)... and I missed loping into the kitchen for a few bites of banana (just enough to stave off my hunger while I work out) and a bottle of water... and I especially missed getting onto my treadmill and having an hour to myself to see how many miles I can squeeze in before I absolutely, positively, need to get into the shower to get ready for work.

Yes, I'm surprised, too. I mean, how can anyone actually ENJOY rising long before the sun and immediately exerting effort? How can I actually enjoy vigorously moving my legs and arms before most of my neighbors have done so much as hit the snooze button? It's a little bit insane, right? (Well, I guess that's my answer... :))

I have never been -- and still am not -- a "morning" person. It may seem that I'd HAVE to be a morning person to get up even before most Morning People are awake... but the fact of the matter is, I'm REALLY not fond of early mornings at all. I can't STAND getting up when it's dark out. The temptation to throw my alarm clock against the wall and just sleep until I feel like getting up (whenever that may be) is quite strong. (Although I rarely need an alarm to wake me -- if I know I need to be up at a certain time, I just wake up... I don't know how I do that... I think the aliens put a microchip clock in my brain...)

But what I've started to discover, over these last few weeks of regular morning workouts, is that my love of my workout is overriding my hate of early mornings. So much so, in fact, that I feel a TON better on the mornings when I work out compared to the mornings when I skip. Even though I get a little extra sleep on my "skip" days. It has gotten to a point where I WANT to get up in the morning to work out, because I know it'll set the tone for the rest of my day.

But is it easy? Absolutely not. I do it because I DECIDE to do it. What's easy is knowing I don't have to get up at any particular time tomorrow morning. Soooooooo happy about that... :)

No comments: