Friday, November 19, 2010

Settling in...

It has been a crazy few weeks -- packing, movers, more packing, Eric's wedding, more packing, driving a thousand miles, unloading the car at our new place, UNpacking, trying to get settled... and in a couple days we'll be flying back to Austin for Thanksgiving. Yup. I am officially wiped out...

Moving in was a bit easier than I expected -- we took care of parking in about two minutes, got the keys to our place without much trouble, and borrowed a luggage cart to haul our stuff from the car up to the 20th floor. It only took three trips to unload everything, and once we had, it was painfully obvious how small our new apartment was. I mean, all we brought was what could fit into a CAR, and yet it still took up tons of space in the apartment. But after a couple days of unpacking and rearranging and creatively using random empty areas, I seem to be managing the clutter rather effectively. For now. We still have a few boxes of clothing and bathroom items back at mom and dad's house, and we're hoping to mail them up here when we're in Austin next week. The problem, of course, is that just about every available space in this apartment is already occupied with something... so I'm afraid the "uncluttered" look won't last very long...

Riff and Piva are adjusting, as well -- actually, Riff is doing great and is acting like his usual mischievous self... Piva is taking a bit longer to get back to "normal." She hides under the bed quite a bit (although I suppose I shouldn't assume she's hiding -- maybe she just really likes sleeping under the bed...). And even though I can't read cat minds, I'm fairly certain they're both wondering what happened to the rest of the house... in fact, I think they may be suspicious that we've shut them inside a large bedroom, and just outside that doorway at the end of the hall is a many-roomed abode with plenty of space to run. The first night we were here, I had our empty suitcases sitting in the hall across from a large hanging mirror. Riff jumped up onto the suitcases, looked over at the mirror, apparently thought something along the lines of "oh, THERE'S the rest of this place," and proceeded to lunge at the reflection... needless to say, I moved the suitcases...

My one complaint so far is that someone nearby in this building is a smoker, and the smoke travels through the air ducts and gets into our nice, smoke-free apartment. It's especially bad in the bathroom, from about 7 o'clock until midnight or so... whoever it is must get home from work and immediately light up, then chain smoke until bed... yuuuuuuuuck... But hopefully we won't be here for TOO long...

I do, however, love the fact that I can get to Whole Foods without even leaving my building, and today I found a Starbucks just down the block. I happen to know we're also within walking distance of Argo Tea, several Walgreens drugstores, Ghirardelli, and all the shops on Michigan Avenue. Ghirardelli is the most important, of course... :) I need to explore the neighborhood more, because I'm sure there are plenty of other shops and restaurants that I don't know about...

We're about to head out to meet my parents for dinner, but hopefully I'll be able to post a few pictures soon. I mean, I'm sure everyone wants the grand tour of my 600-square-feet of magnificent opulence...

No comments: