Sunday, March 13, 2011

Random thoughts: Global edition...

Did everyone remember to spring forward? (Or is it spring back? Fall forward?? Fall back, fall sideways... spring up, spring water, spring cleaning... whatever...) I switched all the clocks pretty early last night so I wouldn't forget... and then we proceeded to stay up really late watching a movie, thereby laughing in the face of our lost hour. Yeah, I'm adjusted to this new time thing already...

I just read that the earthquake in Japan moved the country at least 8 feet. That earthquake MOVED a country. That's insane. The news coming out of Japan is so sad right now... and the threat of a Chernobyl-like disaster seems to be more likely by the hour. Not good. This is one of those events that reminds us of our insignificance on this planet... we're just a bunch of specks of dust on a marble that can be tossed about like a ping pong ball at any time. Hmmm... that's either depressing or humbling... take your pick...

So it looks like, unfortunately, we will NOT be buying the condo we thought we'd be buying. We discovered that there are lawsuits pending against the management of the building, and our relocation company doesn't like that very much. Which I can understand -- I wasn't very happy to hear about it, either. We probably could've found a way to finagle a loan eventually, but I'm not really comfortable with the idea of jumping through hoops to buy a place. I'd rather find a place that results in very little hassle when all is said and done. So once again, we've been out looking at condos to try to find the "perfect" place. (Although I'm not sure the perfect place exists.) We drove downtown yesterday, and on the way, we kept seeing groups of people dressed in various shades of green, some with shamrock hats or bead necklaces. And since St. Patrick's Day isn't until Thursday, it didn't take me too long to figure out what was going on: yesterday was the day they dyed the Chicago River green. (They dye the river for St. Patrick's Day every year... although honestly, that river is ALREADY pretty green... :)) Side note: did you know that I actually have a TINY bit of Irish in my lineage? I actually had no idea until my grandmother gave me a family tree chart years ago... and there, in the middle of the all the Swedes and Germans, was a random Irish guy. So yeah, my great-great-great-uncle/grandfather/second cousin/whoever-he-was happened to be Irish. Maybe that's where I got this lovely, blindingly white, never-able-to-tan skin...

I have been waking up this past week with various Bollywood songs stuck in my head. This is thanks to my friend Faisal, who gave me an awesome, crazy-catchy playlist that has pretty much been on a continuous loop on my iPod for the last few days. I'm not kidding when I say that I've had a different song in my head every single morning -- and I don't even know, exactly, what criteria my brain has been using to choose what it will wake me with. Because it doesn't matter what song I listened to last... it's like my brain is on "shuffle" and just picks something at random. And it also doesn't matter that I only understand about one percent of whatever is being sung (thanks to a smattering of English words) -- no, no, on the contrary: this forces me to Google Hindi lyrics and listen while reading along, in the hopes that something in my brain will suddenly click and everything will make perfect sense. But I knew Faisal would come up with some good stuff for me to listen to -- he has great taste in music. He's the one who introduced me to the Gipsy Kings (also awesome music, and, interestingly, also not English lyrics...). But I'm starting to think this stuff is permanently embedded in my cerebellum... maybe I should go listen to some Lady Gaga or something...

Okay, I need to go get ready for more condo exploration... I think we're heading out to find some open houses. I'll let everyone know if we find anything interesting...   

2 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

Bummer about the condo deal falling through, but I think that the last thing you need is to have your purchase tied up legal hanky-panky that you had nothing to do with.

Another blogger friend of mine went through a similiar fiasco with her current house and it took almost a year to complete the purchase.

Lisa said...

Yeah, we were getting a bad feeling about the whole thing, so we decided to back out while we still had the chance. The market seems to be picking up here, so hopefully we'll find something comparable soon... :)