Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Random thoughts...

Yep, just plain old random thoughts today. Still working on unpacking/cleaning after our week in Austin. When we got home, our nice new red rug was covered with little tufts of cat hair. Sigh... as much as I love my furry troublemakers, they require a constant amount of maintenance... :)

By the way, the carpet we bought IS, in fact, RED -- apparently the pictures of it have a tendency, on some computers, to look PINK. Both my mom and Rick's mom mentioned that they thought our choice of carpet shade was a bit on the lighter side of the red spectrum... and then my mom got here and saw it in person and said, "oh it really IS red!" YES, it's red! :) It's sort of a dark brick red... if it looks pink on your computer, it is a technical anomaly. I would never own a pink carpet... I've never been a fan of pink. Now, purple, sure -- and we actually DO have a purple throw rug in the bedroom to match our purple accent wall. But THIS carpet is red:

Whatever it is, Riff loves it...

Anyway, on to other randomness... I really wonder about some of these ads on TV for ridiculously specialized cooking gadgets. I just saw one for a little plastic container for boiling an egg -- you crack the egg, pour it into the little plastic thingie, and then boil the plastic thingie. This way, you don't have to bother with that insufferable chore of peeling the shell off the hard-boiled egg. Really?? Do I need to spend money on something just so I don't have to peel a shell off an egg? Personally, I'd rather peel a shell off a hard-boiled egg than crack open a raw one... I don't worry about salmonella with hard-boiled eggs...

Has anyone other than me read the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy? Actually, I'm still struggling through the final book. The first one was just "okay" (slow at the beginning, pretty good in the middle, slow again at the end), the second one was actually pretty good, but now the third one is draaaaaaagging at a snail's pace, and I'm trying to decide whether to finish it (because I've come this far and I really don't want this stupid book to get the best of me) or to just give up and find a copy of The Hunger Games (which I've wanted to read for a while now). The funny thing is, my dad is reading a "thriller" written by a Norwegian author (the Dragon Tattoo series was written by a Swedish author), and he's discovering the same thing I discovered: apparently "thriller" in Scandinavia has a different meaning than "thriller" in America. Both of the Scandinavian writers spend a lot of time with exposition, and not a lot of time with action. For instance, I just waded through an entire chapter that spelled out the history of the Swedish security police in great detail. And I just... don't... care. But at the same time, I don't want to be defeated by a few hundred pages hidden in my Kindle. Must... finish... slow... book...

Okay, I'm off to work out (which I actually kept up with when we were away -- but I also ate about five thousand calories every day...). Hope everyone is having a good week so far...   

No comments: