Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Discombobulated post...

I seem to have about a million different topics running through my head today, yet none of them are sure they want to be full-fledged blog posts. You know what that means -- randomness! (I know, it's much too exciting for words... :))

We got more thunderstorms last night... lots and lots of lightning. A bit TOO much, in my opinion. Actually, sometimes I wonder if I'm more afraid of the lightning, or the sudden claps of thunder that follow. I've never been a fan of sudden loud noises. And when you see that lightning flash, you never know if what follows will be a low rumble, or a sharp crack. In fact, after a particularly bright flash of lightning, I tend to instinctively cover my ears in preparation for what I assume will be a sudden loud noise. (Don't EVER sneak up on me and make a loud noise -- I WILL hit you in the face... fair warning.)

Rick and Faisal and I went to see Captain America over the weekend. It was pretty good, but I feel like I need to see it again because I was distracted by the people in the row we happened to be sitting in. There was a couple with a little girl -- I'd say no older than two? -- who, for some reason, thought it would be perfectly acceptable to bring a toddler to a 10:45 pm showing of a PG-13 movie. Sure, why not?? Just because kids should be in bed at that hour and a PG-13 movie probably has some scary-for-a-two-year-old stuff in it doesn't mean a family outing isn't in order. But here's the best part: this couple FELL ASLEEP for the ENTIRE movie, while their wide-awake, two-year-old child sat on her mother's lap and watched the whole thing. We were sitting in the front row of the second section of seats, which meant there were railings and a little ledge drop-off to the floor in front of us. At one point, this little girl dropped something on the floor, and, while her oblivious parents slept, looked as if she might attempt to crawl over the railings to get down to the floor. I'm not usually one to meddle in the affairs of strangers -- or one to even TALK to strangers -- but if that girl made a move for the railings, I was ready to jump up and start yelling at those people. (And don't think I can't yell at people when I need to -- remember Rick's encounter with a possible pickpocket in Naples? Rick told his mom he'd never heard me talk so loudly...) Fortunately, the girl settled down for the second half of the movie... her parents literally did not wake up until the lights came on after the movie. It was strange... very, very strange...

I just heard a girl from India say that the chai tea lattes at Starbucks are better than any chai tea lattes she's ever had in India. Wow, for some reason, I never would've expected that from Starbucks. I've never tried a chai tea latte at Starbucks. Not because I don't like tea -- I love tea, but usually when I'm at Starbucks I'm looking for a caffeine fix... and tea never has enough caffeine for someone who's addicted to coffee like I am. When I drink tea, it's usually at night when I'm winding down and wanting to get sleepy anyway. So perhaps some evening when I'm not worried about staying awake I'll try a Starbucks chai tea latte...

We've actually made some decent progress with our unpacking/getting settled endeavors this week. Still a few things that need to be taken care of... and we're waiting for a carpet that we ordered a zillion years ago to show up (I think it's finally been shipped, so hopefully it'll show up this week), and two of the chairs we ordered for our dining table have been on backorder (hoping those will show up within the next couple weeks, too). But I'm starting to think that MAYBE this place will be organized soon. I wasn't sure for a while there... And then I can actually do things like invite people over without feeling like the world's most horrible housekeeper...

And now I'm off to fend for myself in my search for lunch, as Rick is walking someplace downtown for a "business" lunch. (I put "business" in quotes because I think it's really just a reason for people to go out to lunch and charge someone else for it... :)) Hope everyone is having a good week...

1 comment:

Jannie Funster said...

That does seem a little young, and a little late for a movie.

I'm probably one of only a few who is not a chai fan. But them who like 'em like 'em a LOT!

Did your rug arrive?? Sounds like you[ll have the place looking gorgeous soon.

xoxo