Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Still missed...

Sometimes, when it's late at night and there's nothing good on TV and you're alone and contemplating life and surfing the net for melancholy poems, you stumble across something completely unexpected. (And I have to make a side note here -- is it any wonder that so many kids are being diagnosed with "ADD" these days? The internet makes it pretty much unavoidable for everyone -- you can start out searching for information on the American Revolution and end up on some random website clicking through pictures of zoo animals. Not to mention the fact that every TV has 500 channels, cars come with complete entertainment systems, and every kid and their dog has a cell phone. ADD?? Yeah... sure... THAT'S the problem...)

Tonight, for instance, my deficient attention span led me to randomly click on various websites and to search for various people, places and things. And it was through one of these random searches that I stumbled upon a site I'd never seen before -- one that has been around for almost ten years. Someone created this website back in September of 2002 -- right after Aimee died. (For more about Aimee, check out this post.)

And even though it's old, and hard to read, and some of the links don't work anymore, I spent about an hour crying after I found it -- because I had no idea that it even existed, and I have no idea who created it, and I found it very sweet that someone cared about her enough to go to the trouble of creating a website in her memory. And how many times over the last ten years have I wished that my sister was still in my life?? More than I can count... sometimes it surprises me how much I miss her, considering I only knew her for a few years. I've wanted sisterly advice many times over the last ten years... thank goodness I can still ask for brotherly advice any time I need it... :)

One of the best things about the website I stumbled upon was the discovery of a few pictures I'd never seen. There were only a few, and when I clicked through all of them I was wishing for more. But isn't that the way life goes sometimes? The very best things in life are fleeting moments... the most we can do is hold on to each one as long as possible, until the moment passes and we move on to something else. And then just be thankful that we HAD that moment in our lives...

I'm thankful I had Aimee in my life for a short time...





 

 

No comments: