Saturday, May 05, 2012

Friday night random stuff...

1) The weather here is weird. Yesterday was 80, today was 50-something, tomorrow is supposed to be 72... I'm so confused. Although I suppose it's not unlike Austin weather, which also used to confuse me on a daily basis. Austin, however, would see such temperature fluctuations on the same day -- it made choosing an outfit for the day a complicated matter...

2) I cannot believe that Mariano Rivera (the Yankees best closing pitcher, for those who are baseball-deficient) tore his ACL during batting practice... and not even doing anything particularly strenuous, at that. Just... running. Why, Rivera?? WHY??? But c'mon -- he injured his KNEE, right? And he's a PITCHER. Which means he can still throw. Stick him in a chair and let him pitch -- he'll be fine. (What?? Do they not allow chair pitching in major league baseball?) There was some speculation that, since he's out for the season and he's 42 (which I guess is "old" in baseball years... they're like dog years -- baseball players age more quickly), he might just retire and be done with the game altogether. I would not stand for that. Not Rivera. Rivera cannot end his career with an injury -- it wouldn't be fitting. So I was encouraged when I read this on the Yankees website tonight: "I'm coming back," Rivera said. "Write it down in big letters. I'm not going down like this. God willing and given the strength, I'm coming back." THAT'S what I wanted to hear...

3) So I just started reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. If you'll recall, I read The Satanic Verses a few years ago, after my more-than-a-decade of curiosity about the book finally got the best of me. It was one of the best books I've ever read -- part literature, part acid-trip, part work of art... and Midnight's Children is cementing, in my mind, Rushdie's place as one of my favorite writers. I am mesmerized by the way he laces words together... his writing is very stream-of-consciousness, and I'm guessing it's a style that readers either love or hate. I happen to love it... but I'm not sure I know many people who I'd recommend his books to. If you're as weird as I am, however, definitely give one a try...

4) There was a notice on our door today from our property manager to remind us that the NATO summit is going to be in a town in a few weeks. They're expecting tons of traffic... probably a bunch of protests... lots of crazy people... And, in addition to the NATO summit, the Cubs and White Sox are playing a crosstown series, AND the Bulls are in a playoff game... basically, it's a trifecta of horrendous crowd situations. I'm already planning to grocery shop the week before so we can hole up in the condo all weekend and not venture outside.

5) I suppose I should post this before midnight (in the central time zone, anyway) so I can still say this is FRIDAY random stuff...

Hope everyone has a good weekend...

No comments: