Monday, May 14, 2012

So very random...

1) I broke my own 5K record today -- my best time previously was 31.15... today I manged to hit the 3.1 mile mark at 30.26. Which averages out to 9.7 minutes per mile. I have NEVER, in my entire life, managed to finish a mile in less than 10 minutes. As previously mentioned, I am the SLOWEST "runner" on the face of the planet... but I've been working on (very gradually) increasing my speed and distance. (I've also been trying to get to 6 miles in under an hour... so far, the best I've done is 5.87 miles in an hour. Strangely, I've done that exact same distance in the exact same time TWICE in a row...) 

2) I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day yesterday. We went out for a Mother's Day brunch... we tried a (new to us) place not too far from here called Bull and Bear. (Sadly, neither Rick nor I figured out the basketball/football reference until after we'd been there for a while... sitting near the bar... where fifteen televisions were broadcasting sporting events... and a ticker gave running updates about various players and scores... Rather, we assumed that "Bull and Bear" was some kind of stock market thing. We're super smart like that.) They had an awesome brunch menu -- I had one of the BEST Belgian waffles I've ever eaten. We need to go back there soon...

3) Rick avoided the "breakfast-y" part of the menu and settled on a Santa Fe-style salad. I tried a few bites, and it was GOOD. So good that I decided I needed to attempt to recreate it for dinner tonight. (One thing I've noticed after working out: as soon as I'm finished and showered, all I can think about is food... mostly cupcakes... Gosh, I wish I had a cupcake...) For my own version of the salad, I cooked some chicken with salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin and chili powder, and then tossed it together with a bunch of lettuce, tomatoes, red peppers, corn and beans. And then drizzled it with a dressing I made with nonfat Greek yogurt, a little bit of olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and the same spices I used on the chicken. The finished product was sooooooo good. But decidedly lacking in cupcakes...

4) Why do I have cupcakes on the brain right now?? I suspect it's because I know the store across the street is already closed, so I have no chance of running over there to buy one tonight...

5) Three days in a row now, the fire alarm out in the hallway by the elevator has annoyingly and randomly decided to sound. Fortunately, it's not as jarring as the sound made by home smoke detectors (which are ear-drum-popping loud), but it still causes the cats to stand at attention and stare suspiciously at the door... Piva actually meows with an intonation I can only assume means, "make that stop, please. Trying to sleep here..." (It's still not as bad as waking up at 2 in the morning to an intermittently beeping smoke detector that has decided RIGHT AT THAT MOMENT to run out of battery power...)

6) Cupcakes. (Wait, that's not really a complete thought... is it???)

That's it for now... hope everyone has a good week...

No comments: