Saturday, June 10, 2006

Almost home...

I’m back in Albuquerque, feeling a little sad because my trip is winding to a close. Tomorrow we make the final leg of the journey back to Austin – which will probably end up being WAY too much driving for one day, but at least I’ll get to sleep in my own bed tomorrow night.

And I have some nice souvenirs – my favorite of which is all the chocolate I bought in San Francisco. I finally found the “must-visit” chocolate shop in San Francisco, a place called Joseph Schmidt Confections. They’re native to San Francisco, and they only have two shops – one in San Francisco, and one in San Jose (which apparently we passed right by when we went to the Winchester House…). But after I stocked up on various boxes of chocolate, I realized I’d have to be careful with it – after all, we just spent two days in Las Vegas, where the thermometer was hovering around 105. Definitely can’t keep chocolate in the oven-like confines of a sun-soaked car. So I stored it in the air-conditioned hotel room, and last night I stuffed it into the repaired-and-no-longer-making-horrible-noises mini-fridge. So even after we’d crossed the Arizona border, my chocolate was still chilling out in the back seat.

And I did the same thing tonight – I brought the chocolate into the hotel room and placed it in the (quiet) mini-fridge, so hopefully it will remain in a solidified form even as we travel in the car. I have a worry, though – I’m afraid when I pack up to leave the hotel room tomorrow morning, I’ll completely forget the fact that I’ve stored my precious cargo in the mini-fridge. Right now, it’s kind of an “out of sight, out of mind” sort of thing – I can’t see the chocolate… all I can see is the black, opaque door that covers it. So when I glance around the room tomorrow morning to make sure I have everything, will I remember to open the fridge? I guess that’s why I’m writing about it – writing always seems to help me remember things… Don’t forget the chocolate… don’t forget the chocolate…

So tomorrow I’ll be home, and back to my usual random-and-sometimes-nonsensical blogs. I’ve had a lot of fun updating this every night – it’s been kind of cool to share my whole vacation with everyone. And thanks to everyone for all the comments – you guys make me feel like I’m actually an interesting person sometimes. :)

3 comments:

Evydense said...

If your blogs are any reflection, you're an interesting person all the time! About forgetting things...I write myelf notes and tape them to places around the house (i.e. by the door, on the bathroom mirror, etc.) in order to remember things. Problem is, I get so used to just seeing the notes, sometimes I forget to actually read them when I should!!

I've enjoyed travelling with you!

Anonymous said...

Interesting person??? You just wrote about chocolate for an entire blog and I found it fascinating. Someone that can turn our mundane daily activities into something fun to read about is not uninteresting in the slightest! So do me a favor and never say that again!!! Hope you didn't forget the chocolate. ;)

Lisa said...

Thanks for the comments, you guys. I really appreciate them! And yes, fortunately I DID remember the chocolate. :) Evydense, I've done the exact same thing -- written myself a note and then looked right past it when I needed it. What I usually try to do now when I need a reminder is put a note on top of my computer keyboard -- that way, I have to actually MOVE it to use the computer. Usually that seems to work. :)

And Kat -- can't wait to meet you this week! You're not bringing Eric, are you? Because I've been hanging out with him for YEARS and I pretty much know him at this point... so it's really not necessary that I spend any more time with him than I have to... haha! Just kidding Eric! (Maybe...) ;)