Thursday, June 15, 2006

It's what's inside that counts...

I noticed that the Edmonton Oilers have forced a game 6 in the Stanley Cup finals – so for my Canadian fellow-blogger: go Oilers! :) Something else reminded me of Canada yesterday, as I was working my way through one of my boxes of chocolates. You know how when you have a box of assorted chocolates, you can never really tell what’s what? And this particular box didn’t come with a description of any kind, so every piece I’ve eaten has been a surprise (which is kind of fun, to be honest). So yesterday I chose a random piece from the box and bit into it – the center consisted of sugary maple candy. It was chocolate-covered maple candy. A beautiful little sugar-rush square. I can’t believe there was only one, because that little square was GOOD…

The last time I can remember buying maple candy was my sophomore year of high school, when I was in my school’s touring choir and we went to Toronto for a competition. On one of our off days, we were set loose in the city (seriously, I’m having trouble remembering where the chaperones were… did we even HAVE chaperones?) and a group of us settled on shopping for souvenirs at Eaton Center. (Or is it Centre? Wait, yep – it’s Centre… had to look it up to be sure I was spelling it correctly.) Okay, a group of us settled on shopping for souvenirs at Eaton CENTRE, which is a pretty decent-sized mall. But I can only remember buying two things while I was there – one was a box of maple candy. In the box, a cluster of small, sugary maple leaves surrounded one, big, giant, sugary maple leaf. Who knew foliage could look so appetizing?

The other thing I bought was a book, and I think perhaps I bought it mainly because I really wanted to pay the “Canada” price that’s always listed on the back of a book. (You know, like, “U.S. $this price; Canada $that price.”) I mean, if you work out exchange rates and everything, it’s probably about the same price, but I had a pocketful of loonies and I wanted to use them. Loonies, of course, being the Canadian dollar coins with the loon embossed upon them. (And loons, of course, are birds. Lest anyone assume “loons” merely refers to crazy people. Although how funny would THAT be, if loonies had pictures of crazy people on them? Nah, probably too controversial… better to stick with the birds…) Personally, I love loonies. I just love the idea of having a fun nickname for my money. We don’t really have that here in the U.S. – for the most part, it seems to be simply pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, dollars.

And does anyone think it’s unfair that Lincoln was stuck with the practically useless penny? He was this great president… Emancipation Proclamation, Gettysburg Address… and the poor guy was assassinated at some play that his wife probably forced him to go to… and what do we give him? The penny. One cent. Whereas Benjamin Franklin – a guy who wasn’t even president – gets the hundred dollar bill. Yeah, Benjamin Franklin stupidly runs outside in a lightning storm with his kite, and we give him the hundred dollar bill. Or perhaps people never realized how dumb that was until AFTER he did it? So thank you, Benjamin Franklin, for showing us how stupid it is to fly kites in thunderstorms. We shall remember you always on our hundred dollar bill. (And thank YOU, Abraham Lincoln, for freeing the slaves. Here’s a penny…) Although maybe there was a certain logic to that -- after all, most people probably have dozens, if not hundreds, of pennies floating around their homes. But hundred dollar bills? I don't even have ONE of those right now...

Um, what was I talking about before I got sidetracked? Oh yes – maple candy. Good stuff. And, I discovered yesterday, even better when it’s covered with chocolate... :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey , so I'm sitting in Texas with Mom and Kat, and Lisa is standing behind us...I just read this latest blog and wanted to comment on it and thought-whoa! Lisa is right here! I can just comment to her right here without even writing anything! And then I thought...hmmm...that kinda takes the fun out of it. So I decided not to comment to Lisa in person, and instead type it here (although she is watching and correcting my typos as I go)! SO: I like maple candy too Lisa. -Eric

Evydense said...

You are a weird (in a very NICE way!) family!

Thanks for your warm fuzzies for the Oilers, they can probably use all the help they can get at this point.

Interesting about the maple thing. I've never been a big fan of maple flavour (or is it flavor....yep, it's FLAVOR....weird again!). When I was a kid, my brothers and I used to tap some of the trees on our property, and boil down the sap to make our own syrup and sugar. The best part was the taffy pulls. You take the hot syrup just when it's starting to turn sugary, pour it on snow so it cools down quickly, and it makes the sweetest, tastiest, juiciest taffy you could ever imagine. Ah, memories!

And just as a footnote, it's cheating to show a picture of a closed box for crying out loud. For all we know, it's completely empty! I suspect you're overdoing it and you're going to get canker sores in your mouth from eating too much chocolate too fast. I'm only looking out for your well-being, you know.

(lots of neat stuff to comment on this time {smile!}) In addition to the Loonie, we went with a $2 dollar coin some years back, and it's called a Toonie. Our paper money is boring, though. Although each denomination is a different colour, (darn...color!) we get the queen of England on all our bills (well, one side anyway). I like your idea about putting crazy people on our coins...I'd be famous!

Lisa said...

You're absolutely right -- we ARE a rather strange family. But it definitely makes for interesting get-togethers. :)

If you want to hear something else weird -- I'VE never been a big fan of "real" maple syrup. I actually prefer the bottled stuff from Log Cabin -- which probably has no actual "maple" in it at all. But that taffy pull thing sounds awfully good... :)

A Toonie, huh? I didn't know that -- I haven't been to Canada in years. I'll have to plan a trip up there so I can buy another book with Loonies AND Toonies. :)

And I must stand by my photo of the closed chocolate box... the closed box was more aesthetically pleasing... doesn't mean I've eaten all the chocolate. Nope. There's pleeeeenty of chocolate left. Really...

Evydense said...

I can't stand it. My guilty conscious is getting the better of me, and I know I won't get any sleep tonight if I don't come clean. I took literary licence in my last post. The queen is only on our $50 and $1000 bills, we have Prime Ministers on the others. Whew! That feels better.

Lisa said...

Well, I'm certainly glad you cleared that up. I would've been horribly disillusioned had I visited Canada and realized the Queen was NOT on most of the money...

:)