Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Dad's Day!

I believe Eric said he was going to create a blog before Father’s Day, so he could attempt to usurp my “favorite child” status. But apparently Eric has been too busy arresting people and interrogating criminals to spend time on the internet. So I think it’s pretty obvious who’s still the favorite…

And since Eric doesn’t have a blog to share with everyone, it’s up to me to say this – Happy Father’s Day, dad!! My dad is the coolest dad ever – I mean, I know every kid thinks their dad is the coolest dad ever, but my dad really IS the coolest dad ever. I remember when Eric and I were young, and dad and his business partner Tony were just starting out with Hi-Tronics, and we always had all kinds of crazy little electronic things around the house. The extra bedroom across the hall from my room had tables covered with random capacitors and diodes and wires, and the smell of solder would hang in the air. And I remember thinking, “wow – my dad must be really smart, because all this stuff looks CONFUSING…”

But it was amazing how my dad could take something confusing, and explain it so it made perfect sense. Like algebra, for instance. I had a horrible algebra teacher my freshman year of high school, who wouldn’t so much “teach” us algebra as she would simply show us what it looked like. She would write out long equations on the chalkboard without saying a word, and then assign us homework and rush us out the door so we could all be on our merry little way to another class. I would return home with very little understanding of what it was I was supposed to do. But in five minutes’ time, my dad could explain my homework with such clarity that I’d be sitting at the kitchen table thinking, “hey, this algebra stuff is pretty easy!” Now why couldn’t my TEACHER do that??

My dad and I are the quiet ones in the family, and I’m glad my dad is quiet, too, because it shows me that quiet people can make big impacts. My dad is one of those people who leads by example – if you pay attention to him, you’ll learn all kinds of things. He’s like a taller, less-swampy, not-green Yoda. By watching my dad, I’ve learned all kinds of stuff: Be patient. Give people the benefit of the doubt. Try NOT to let the things that really aren’t a big deal become a big deal. Be generous when you can, but try to encourage people to help themselves, as well. Stay young by walking and using the stairs and taking hikes around interesting cities. Read a lot, and always be looking for ways to expand your knowledge. If you can get by just fine without that super-expensive electronic doohickey, then it’s probably best not to buy it…

And of course, my dad taught me the most important lesson of all – coffee is your friend. There’s always room for cappuccino. So in honor of my dad, I may have to have a few extra cups today…



Eric (aka "Second Favorite") and dad...

Me and dad, happy with our cappuccino in Pisa...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa - Thanks, for all of the kind words and for the memories of all those cappuccinios we shared on distant shores (and that great ice cream in Italy). I wish I had read this before supper because I would have made one more run to Starbucks without feeling guilty - but hey, there's always tomorrow. And as far as those espensive electronic doohickeies go, they just don't bring you lasting happiness - while a daughter that writes a great blog does.

Anonymous said...

I think if Dad just had two kids like me he'd have a house full of expensive electronic doohickies. I will have my revenge!

Anonymous said...

Uh oh, I just read my comment and realized how pathetic my spelling is. I think that's why I became an engineer - my English was so poor that I had no other option. Well, I wrote that comment with Kiko sitting on my lap trying to help me type so I'll blame my mistakes on her (after all, it is Father's Day).

Evydense said...

I lost my dad in 1975. This post made me cry. Thank you.

Evydense said...

Oh yeah...one more thing. You never told me there was a policeman in the family. I'm going to have to censor what I say from now on in case he has connections with the RCMP. I wouldn't want to get a knock on my door in the middle of the night!

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad -- I hope you have some good memories of him.

And yes, my brother is a Chicago police officer -- but don't worry, I don't think he has any Canadian connections (although he did have a roommate from Toronto back when he was in law school... hmmm...).

:)