Friday, June 23, 2006

Want to write? Look in the pantry...

I was talking about superheroes a few weeks ago, and I was reminded this morning that I already KNOW a superhero – Clipman! Yes, Clipman – mighty superhero, defender of office justice, keeper of the file cabinets, AND he knows Word Perfect! It’s Clipman! My acquaintance with Clipman goes back to that time I spent working at Hi-Tronics, where we used Word Perfect but no one really seemed able to completely grasp its intricacies. But lo and behold – Clipman arrived one day to rescue us from our confusion. And I think he may have tidied up the filing cabinets, as well. (Actually, that might have been me…) Seriously – Clipman was hanging on my dad’s office wall for so long that the original background paper was faded and wrinkly. But it was imperative that Clipman journey from New Jersey to Texas, so my dad traced over the original wrinkly paper and gave Clipman a new sheet of paper to call his home. He is now guarding the halls of ANS, where he no doubt restocks copy machines with extra paper and fills empty staplers. Maybe he even turns on the coffeemaker in the morning. Because that’s just the kind of superhero that Clipman is…

And that’s about it for now. I’ve got nothing here… my mind is strangely devoid of interesting insight at the moment. Although I’ve always been told that if you can’t think of anything to write about, you should just start to write. It seems sort of contradictory – if you don’t know what to write about, how can you write? And yet, usually, it seems to work. Shall I try it? Okay, maybe I will. Has anyone read any Chris Van Allsburg? He’s actually a children’s author and illustrator, but a few of his books have been transformed into movies – Jumanji, The Polar Express, and that new one, Zathura (which I have to admit I’ve never read… didn’t see the movie, either). Anyway, one of his books was called “The Mysteries of Harris Burdick” (I’m having a déjà vu – have I mentioned this before? Perhaps there was another day where my mind was blank and I wrote about it in a blog post…). The book is rather simple – it’s merely a collection of strange illustrations (I’d say they range from melancholy to downright scary…) along with vague captions. It’s been so long since I’ve seen the book, but the one picture I can remember was of a man holding a chair over his head, looking poised to smash a strange lump under the carpet. And I can’t remember the caption at all – but the purpose of the book seems to be to fuel imagination. The pictures and the captions aren’t supposed to make sense – they’re supposed to be a jumping-off point for a larger, more complex story.

But I suppose just about ANYTHING could be fuel for imagination. Much in the way that writing leads to more writing, I’m amazed by the progression of my thought process at times. I can look over at my pantry door, which reminds me of food, which reminds me of all the great food I ate in San Francisco, which makes me think of how nice vacations are, which makes me think of all the places I’d love to visit, which makes me think of foreign languages, which reminds me of a family I was sitting next to at a restaurant the other day who were speaking a language I didn’t understand – but I did distinctly hear the words “opposition” and “Pakistan” used several times. Which made me wonder – what sort of opposition were they talking about? Was it opposition towards Pakistan? Was it opposition IN Pakistan? Was it opposition to the seemingly never-ending construction we’ve got going on in this city, and maybe it would be better to just go hang out in Pakistan until it’s finished? I guess I’ll never know. But now, every time I look at my pantry door, I’ll be thinking about the opposition in Pakistan…

And see? That’s exactly what I’m talking about – how strange it is to go from one idea to something completely different within the span of several seconds. And how strange it is to have absolutely nothing to write about and STILL be able to fill up space in my blog…

6 comments:

Evydense said...

There's a self-help program called "A Course In Miracles", and one of its techniques is the stream-of-thought journaling concept. You write three pages I think it is, then stop, even if it's in the middle of an idea. It does seem a bit strange, doesn't it?!!

As far as your past, I still have one of those templates that used to fit over the function keys on a keyboard for WordPerfect. I wonder if it'll ever be a collector's item one day?

Lisa said...

That IS strange -- and I'm not sure I could do that. What if I was in the middle of writing down some kind of life-changing realization, and I suddenly reached the end of my three pages? I could forget everything before I had another chance to tackle three more pages. Perhaps I'd have to keep a "non-self-help program" journal next to my self-help journal. That way, I could simply move from one to the other (or would that be cheating??).

I'm sure your WordPerfect template will be a collector's item some day -- actually, I think some of the people I used to work with would pay for it just so they could destroy it. :)

Anonymous said...

Lisa, you forgot to mention that Eric was the creator of Clipman (about 17 years ago). At the time he was planning to create an entire line of office Super Heros which I still think was one of his better business ideas. By the way, I still have my well worn Wordperfect template and just yesterday I was modifying an old Wordperfect document (of course now anything less than 5 years old is a Word document).

Anonymous said...

Ummm, except for what I create -- I have about 500 Word Perfect documents in my file. I wonder if that's why, when I send one to someone, they always say "What is this???? I can't open it!!!!" Guess I got a lot of modifying to do :(

Anonymous said...

Yeah Lisa! Don't forget Copywonder Woman...she has the power of invisibility. So when you're sitting in your office wishing you had 75 copies of the Accounting report...BAM! It appears, and you can thank Copywonder Woman! Okay, okay, I'll work on it... I'm a bit tired today...

Lisa said...

Eric, you ALWAYS manage to crack me up, even when you're tired... or maybe especially when you're tired... or maybe when I'M tired...

And dad, you need to send Clipman to Aunt Carol so people can read her documents... :)