Saturday, November 18, 2006

What time is it??

We got home from Hawaii this afternoon... at least I think it was this afternoon... my time is all screwed up right now. We left Hawaii at about midnight, spent a sleepless night flying to Phoenix (although Rick insists I slept at some point... if I did, it must've been for about 45 minutes or so...) and then we groggily wandered around the Phoenix airport until we found our gate connection to Austin. By the time we took off from Phoenix, I think all of us had finally dozed off. We got to Austin at 1:30 in the afternoon -- which was 9:30 Hawaii time, and about the time we've been eating breakfast for the last week. So except for that 45 minutes between Hawaii and Phoenix and the hour or so nap between Phoenix and Austin, I've been awake now for about 35 hours... what time is it? It feels like fourteen thirty o'clock...

But since I'm trying to stay awake until the time I'd normally go to bed on a Saturday night, I decided to download all my pictures to my computer and post a few more random Hawaii shots:


Me and the ocean on one of the days we were wandering around aimlessly...

This was our last stop yesterday (or the day before yesterday?) -- Rainbow Falls near Hilo. Since we had an entire day to kill after checking out of the hotel, we drove back to Hilo in the afternoon...

Even better than the falls -- the Big Island Candy store in Hilo. They give out lots of free samples... can't go wrong with free chocolate...


The candy factory -- the store is in front, and the factory is in the back behind a glass wall so you watch the candy being made... (and yes, I did buy some chocolate... :))



One of the reasons mom loves Hawaii so much -- her name is much more common there. When she says her name is Leilani, nobody says, "huh? How do you spell that??" They know exactly how to spell it... of course, then she has to explain why she has a Hawaiian name even though she's not Hawaiian...


No, I don't know what I was looking at... couldn't have been that interesting...


There were lots of birds around the hotel, and this red-headed variety was especially pretty -- mom was trying to get a picture of one all week, but somehow kept missing the opportunity. (So if you want a copy of this, mom, let me know. :))


Sunset and a sailboat...


Me at the Umauma falls...

Dad snapping a picture of the "No Parking" sign near Kiluaea...


This is the sort of terrain we would've been climbing over for three miles to get to the lava. If we'd been better prepared, I'm sure it could've been doable, but it'll have to wait for our next visit. Yeah, that's right, Pete -- we'll be back some day...

No comments: