Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Lime-flavored what?

Well, I got my wish – it’s 59 degrees today! I’d better enjoy the cool weather before it decides to warm up again. I also noticed that a tree in my front yard has a few yellow leaves:



Behold – the brilliant autumn color spectrum of Austin, Texas. (Yeah, it’s a bit of a letdown, huh?)

And one more picture from Montana… my dad sent this last night with the question, “if you’re in a supermarket and you see this, where are you?”



We don’t even have deer heads on the walls of our supermarkets in Texas – TEXAS, where everyone and their dog walks around packing heat and we all shoot at anything that moves because we’re a buncha trigger-happy yee-haw cowboys roaming the tumbleweed-strewn prairies, y’all…

Okay, it’s possible that I may be exaggerating. However I DO remember visiting someone in Buffalo after we’d moved to Texas when I was a kid, and she asked my mom if we saw a lot of tumbleweed. Like if they just went flying through our front yard on a regular basis (or, you know, the desolate dirt patch that had to serve as a “yard,” since it was obviously too dry for any sort of vegetation to grow). But I’ll admit I’m not innocent of making assumptions about places – I’m pretty sure that when I learned we were moving to New Jersey, all I could picture was Newark. I didn’t realize my house would practically be in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by hills and trees, where I could go exploring on the acre of land between our house and our neighbors’ house.

So happy November, everyone. Can anyone believe that 2006 is almost gone? Like I said yesterday, now that Halloween is over, I have to start figuring out what to buy people for Christmas. I think November and December are going to be pretty busy, so I have to plan carefully. Next Saturday we leave for a week in Hawaii (we’re heading to the Big Island this time. I’ve only been to Maui, so it’ll be interesting to see another island. Hopefully I’ll be able to add some pictures to my blog while I’m there), and Thanksgiving is still up in the air at the moment – might be staying here, might be going somewhere else, not sure yet. But I believe we ARE aiming for Christmas in Montana (land of fire and deer heads), so I’ll have to plan for that while planning everything else that needs to be planned…

Last night, true to our tradition, we turned off all the lights, locked up the house, and went out to eat to avoid the trick-or-treaters. Mom came along, too, mumbling something about, “stupid kids… can’t stand ‘em…” Really. I’m pretty sure that’s what she said. (Okay, maybe not. :)) After dinner, we ordered some desserts – Rick and I shared a five-nut brownie with ice cream (which was REALLY good), and mom got a slice of key lime pie. The pie wasn’t too bad, although when Rick tried a bite, he proclaimed it to be like (Eric, are you paying attention?) “lime-flavored mayonnaise.” Yum.

Anyway, I think I’ll go get my gun and head to the store to do some shopping… right after I set something on fire… gosh, I wish I was in Montana… :) (By the way, I had this all written and ready to post about six hours ago. But Blogger once again decided to refuse me my picture-publishing privileges... I was JUST NOW able to get those two little pictures uploaded. I hope everyone hasn't been hovering near their computers, eagerly awaiting my next post... :))

No comments: